Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2014, 08:33:13 PM
Do you want to get poorer Mono? That is what will happen when the HK system collapses because Beijing picked only crooked commies to run it.

I'll get poorer if the roads are blocked. 

Monoriu

Meanwhile, the People's Daily in Beijing attacks the rioters for the third day in a row, repeating that it is utterly out of the question to change HK's election rules.  It is rare for the People's Daily to comment on a single event for 3 days in a row, and this makes it extremely clear that Beijing will not negotiate in any shape or form. 

Monoriu

Street fights have broken out in Admiralty underground train station between people who support the police and the rioters.  Admiralty is the rioters' main camp. 

Monoriu

Blue ribbon army is forming.  Blue is the colour of the Hong Kong Police.  Yellow is the colour of the rioters.

Support HKP.  HKP = Hong Kong police.  Don't tell me that these folks are mainland agents or triad members.  They are HK citizens just like me who can have a view other than "I support people who fight for democracy no matter what tactics they use". 

alfred russel

I doubt they are just like you. I don't think you are willing to get so engaged.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

At least the blue bunch has less Moe Howard haircuts.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on October 03, 2014, 08:58:49 PM
I doubt they are just like you. I don't think you are willing to get so engaged.

True  :blush: I have walked past the rioters outside my office many times, and I have been tempted to shout at them.  I didn't.  Well, if my fellow civil servants do it, I may follow. 

I think it is important.  They want to role play as democracy heroes?  What can be more demoralising than the people they are supposed to help telling them to fuck off?

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

You guys are apparently much more Chinese than you let it show.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 06:09:58 PM
They live in a fantasy world where everybody is on their side just because they supposedly fight for democracy.  So anybody who comes out and disagrees is a triad member.  Does this mean they think I am a triad member too?

Well, you live in a fantasy world where some of the world's most peaceful protesters are "rioters."  Tit for tat?
Experience bij!

Monoriu

A lot of people in HK have happy and stable lives.  We are not North Korea or Iraq.  There are democratic elections of more than half the seats in the legislative council that the democratic camp compete in (and regularly win).  There are things that can be improved, but there is no excuse for taking the entire society hostage and making an enemy out of Beijing.  People need to realise that our situation is a lot worse than Finland was during the cold war, and we need to work with Beijing.  Beijing isn't being entirely unreasonable.  They are paranoid about democracy, but other than that have largely kept their promises about our freedoms and One Country Two Systems. 

Monoriu

The headlines of the Mainland PLA newspaper (yes there is an official one) are that the PLA garrison in HK are absolutely loyal to the Party leadership :ph34r:  I think the rioters have more to worry about than the HK police's tear gas or the insults of residents. 

Monoriu

The blues aren't afraid to show their faces or to let reporters take still photos.  They went to challenge and insult the rioters in Causeway Bay. 

Monoriu

Blues marching to support the police.  Do they look like thugs?

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 09:54:19 PM

Blues marching to support the police.  Do they look like thugs?

No.  But then, nobody was labeling peaceful counter-marchers or ribbon makers as thugs.