Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I am not sure if people are aware that Mong Kok is a residential area as well.  By protesting all week and through the nights, often using loudspeakers, the rioters are disturbing the sleep of many people for many days.  Let's not kid themselves.  Their behaviour is outrageous and a lot of people have many legitimate reasons to come out and boo them out. 

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2014, 02:33:20 PM
I wonder if there is going to be another wave of HK immigrants fleeing to Vancouver.

If people leave, it is because housing prices in HK are too high, not because of this. 

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 03, 2014, 10:19:04 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 10:14:54 AM
My stance is very clear.  As far as demonstration tactics are concerned, anything that is legal is acceptable.  Anything that is illegal is unacceptable.  Not that hard to understand.

And what difference do you actually see between legal and illegal demonstration tactics?  The legal ones sound about as useful as a strongly worded letters.  Affecting change is hard.  Also, the secret: the government's designed to protect itself.  It usually takes something "illegal" to force a change of the system itself.

Illegal tactics take freedom away from other citizens.  Illegal tactics affect the livelihood of others, take society hostage, and blackmail government.

Monoriu

Quote from: Camerus on October 03, 2014, 01:07:57 PM
Apparently, the protestors are alleging the people attacking them are (at least in part) comprised of triad gang members.

They live in a fantasy world where everybody is on their side just because they supposedly fight for democracy.  So anybody who comes out and disagrees is a triad member.  Does this mean they think I am a triad member too?

Monoriu

So there will be no dialogue between government and the rioters.  I don't think there is anything lost there.  The rioters want Beijing to withdraw its decision on the Chief Executive election rules.  The HK government is constitutionally bound to obey the ruling.  These are parallel lines that will never meet.  Any dialogue is pointless.  As I said, you want to change the rules?  Go to Tian An Men :contract:

Monoriu

Everybody is mentioning Tian An Men.  One of the key lessons learned is that you need to have an exit strategy and know when to fold.  I think another lesson that wasn't learned is to make pie in the sky style demands that are easy to dismiss. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 06:02:14 PM
My stance is very clear.  As far as demonstration tactics are concerned, anything that is legal is acceptable.  Anything that is illegal is unacceptable.  Not that hard to understand.

And what difference do you actually see between legal and illegal demonstration tactics?  The legal ones sound about as useful as a strongly worded letters.  Affecting change is hard.  Also, the secret: the government's designed to protect itself.  It usually takes something "illegal" to force a change of the system itself.

Illegal tactics take freedom away from other citizens.  Illegal tactics affect the livelihood of others, take society hostage, and blackmail government.

What do illegal tactics against those using illegal tactics do? Two wrongs make a right?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 06:09:58 PM
Quote from: Camerus on October 03, 2014, 01:07:57 PM
Apparently, the protestors are alleging the people attacking them are (at least in part) comprised of triad gang members.

They live in a fantasy world where everybody is on their side just because they supposedly fight for democracy.  So anybody who comes out and disagrees is a triad member.  Does this mean they think I am a triad member too?

That allegation may or may not be true - though as Jacob said, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some truth to it.

However, if you were part of an organized band attacking others on the street, the accusation would be true that you are, at the very least, a cheap thug.  And it's not difficult to make the leap from there to gangster.

I won't answer your question for what that makes someone who merely supports such behaviour.

Monoriu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_y9Q5DcQM

Shopowners and residents successfully booing off rioters who tried to occupy Sham Shui Po.  A victory for Hong Kong  :)

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 07:34:38 PM

What do illegal tactics against those using illegal tactics do? Two wrongs make a right?

They want to play civil disobedience?  Others can play that game too.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 08:08:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 07:34:38 PM

They want to play civil disobedience?  Others can play that game too.

I don't see why you'd want more people to act in a lawless manner.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 08:10:27 PM

The priority is to reopen the roads. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 08:11:12 PM

So if said second group of lawless individuals don't stop? Grow to like being allowed to attack others...that's just a worry for another day?

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on October 03, 2014, 08:20:08 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 08:11:12 PM

So if said second group of lawless individuals don't stop? Grow to like being allowed to attack others...that's just a worry for another day?

Just how lawless are they?  It is mostly booing, foul language, insults, and removing road blocks.

Grey Fox

Do you want to get poorer Mono? That is what will happen when the HK system collapses because Beijing picked only crooked commies to run it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.