Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Rioters now refuse to meet with HK government offcials.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 04:23:37 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 02, 2014, 01:41:52 PM
I'm curious what the long term worst case scenario is.

Beijing taking control and Hong Kong becoming a Cantonese Shanghai?

Yeah, Beijing declaring that mainland laws taking effect in HK, and the PLA stepping in would be the worst case scenario.  Death of One Country, Two Systems.  Communist party officials from the mainland become my bosses.  Internet censorship and the rest. 

Torpedoing negotiations with Taiwan forever (or at least until the PRC is overthrown).
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2014, 09:28:46 AM
So if a hit and run driver hits a jaywalker, they let him go in HK?

More like a rapist complaining being punched by the victim's husband.

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 09:43:11 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2014, 09:28:46 AM
So if a hit and run driver hits a jaywalker, they let him go in HK?

More like a rapist complaining being punched by the victim's husband.

:lmfao:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 03, 2014, 09:41:36 AM
Torpedoing negotiations with Taiwan forever (or at least until the PRC is overthrown).

I think the communists have pretty much given up on reuniting Taiwan.  Taiwan is a fully functioning democracy.  It will never agree to reunit with a non-democratic China no matter what.  The most Beijing can hope for is maintaining the status quo.  It is already a victory if Taiwan doesn't declare independence.  That's all they aim for.

Admiral Yi

Am I missing something?  All these "vigilantes" seem to be doing is booing the protesters and taking cell phone photos.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 09:25:41 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 03, 2014, 09:21:22 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 06:46:42 AM
Now the students are saying that if the government doesn't stop the mob, they'll refuse to meet. 

Why should the police help sustain an illegal activity?

Why should the police stop vigilantes?  Is that a serious question?

You don't find anything odd with criminals on the run expecting police protection?

Criminals?

It doesn't take you long to adapt to the part line does it?

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2014, 09:49:10 AM

Criminals?

I don't know about Canada, but occupying public roads is a criminal offence in HK.

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 05:49:30 AM
The angry mob is moving to Causeway Bay (it is only like 30 minutes by train) to repeat the same tactic against the rioters.

I keep hearing reports that the spontaneous locals clearing out the Occupiers are communicating in Mandarin, often using bullhorns to keep themselves organized.

Curious, that.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on October 03, 2014, 07:36:53 AM
The mobilization of the HK mob in support of the government reminds me of the mobilization of the mob in various Chinese cities after the bombing of the Belgrade Embassy.  It seems that "one system" may already be the case in HK.

Yup.

Jacob

Quote from: PJL on October 03, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
I wonder how many of the anti Occupy protestors are Russian mainland Chinese special agents.

I'm sure there are plenty of locals, but from what I've been hearing there are lots of Mandarin speakers as well which seem to imply they've been organized somewhere away from Hong Kong.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 09:50:33 AM

Criminals?

I don't know about Canada, but occupying public roads is a criminal offence in HK.

Here it is called a protest and has certain civil law and constitutional law guarrantees. 

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 03, 2014, 09:46:24 AM
Am I missing something?  All these "vigilantes" seem to be doing is booing the protesters and taking cell phone photos.

My random internet sources say they're tearing down barricades and beating protestors (sometimes with umbrellas, for maximum ironic effect).

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 03, 2014, 09:53:56 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 09:50:33 AM

Criminals?

Here it is called a protest and has certain civil law and constitutional law guarrantees.

Here, you need to apply for a permit to conduct a protest in advance, and you need to agree with the police on the route and timing.  Otherwise, it is illegal and the police are empowered to clear the area and make charges.

DontSayBanana

The rioters (real rioters, Mono) going after the protesters seem awfully well organized and consistent.  I'd be very surprised if there weren't CCP provocateurs stirring things up there.

Why can't the rioters clear the protesters when the police can't?  It's called rule of law, Mono.  No government can exist where vigilantes are better at doing the government's job of protecting the populace.  So the one thing the government needs to protect itself from more than dissidence?  Vigilantism.

Guy "collects" 1 million out of 7 million signatures against the protesters.  Bullshit.  Most of the time, that many people don't even come out for government elections.  No petition I've ever seen has a 14% response rate without having tons of coerced or forced signatures, or people signing multiple times under pseudonyms.

Odds are high that your precious "status quo" is being maintained by greater criminals than people sitting in the roads wondering why they can't even discuss the issue.
Experience bij!