Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 01, 2014, 04:00:58 PM
I, for one, support welcoming into the U.S. any HK residents who are dissatisfied with their future prospects.

Especially if they are female and cute.  :P

History has shown that this won't happen.  We begged Thatcher to give us citizenship, but she refused. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 01, 2014, 08:57:27 AM
While I find Mono's rhetoric to be reprehensible, I'm leery of the requests to crack down on him. His opinion is a rancorous one, but it is representative of the embattled elites of Hong Kong. He is being true to his class and section by being so despicable.

Were this the 1960s, I wonder if Languish would be calling for bans on me for despicable pro-segregationist rhetoric? It seems unreasonable to punish a white male Southerner of that era for voicing such opinions, however poorly they may play on a wider international stage; similarly it doesn't feel right to be moved to want to see Mono censured and censored for being a filthy Chinese bureaucrat; we've all known him to be such, it is only that just now international events push the more disgusting, avaricious, self-aggrandizing and cravenly myopic aspects of his nature to the forefront.

That's nothing compared to what we would have done to you in 1860's. :lol:   Are you even a segregationist?  You are going to marry a Japanese chick.  That probably wouldn't fly well in 1960's South.  Or 1860's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

The Japanese are honorary Aryans.  Hitler said so.   :)

Razgovory

I don't think the South was overly concerned with with bizarre race theories.  You were white cause you looked white.  Hell, the confederate Secretary of State and later War was Jewish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2014, 11:17:29 PM
I don't think the South was overly concerned with with bizarre race theories.  You were white cause you looked white.  Hell, the confederate Secretary of State and later War was Jewish.

Not until Jim Crow codified it with the one-drop-rule.  That made alot of white people black.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

The HK government's strategy is to wait the rioters out, and launch verbal attacks on them every day.  The rioters on the other hand demand the Chief Executive's resignation before any dialogue.  Beijing has launched its PR machine to support the Chief Executive politically, meaning a resignation will not come, and the National Congress will not change its decision on HK's election rules.  As long as there is no dialogue or settlement, the rioters will be in an increasingly vulnerable position.  Grumbles from the rest of the population are on the rise.  Parents complain that their children can't go to school (many schools have been closed), businesses are complaining about lost revenue, many workers are saying their income has been reduced.  The rioters attempt to spread the occupy movement to other districts, but in at least one instance was booed off. 

Senior government officials are seen boosting morale among front line policemen. 

In other words, the rioters have taken Moscow.  They expect to dictate peace, but none is coming.  Meanwhile, winter is coming. 

Syt

I find the use of the term "rioters" questionable, as the protestors have so far gone out of their way to be peaceful and friendly. Hell, they're even picking up their trash and keeping the streets clean, which is more than can be said about the NY Occupy crowd. They're poster children for non-rioting protests.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

First comment from senior Chinese officials stationed in HK on the riots: the Sun rises normally.  The People's Daily, the #1 newspaper of the communists, praises the HK Chief Executive's work.  The Central TV chanel gives air time to a speech made by the Chief Executive on National Day - a very rare arrangement because such air time is usually reserved for top 7 politburo standing committee officials.  A senior communist official has likened HK's situation as the "battle for HK's sovereignty, and on matters of national sovereignty, there is no room to back down". 

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on October 02, 2014, 02:52:22 AM
I find the use of the term "rioters" questionable, as the protestors have so far gone out of their way to be peaceful and friendly. Hell, they're even picking up their trash and keeping the streets clean, which is more than can be said about the NY Occupy crowd. They're poster children for non-rioting protests.

As long as they continue to operate on key public roads without police permit, I will continue to regard them as such. 

Monoriu

I find the progression of the democratic movement in HK interesting.

In the 90s, the Democratic Party was the most popular party.  These are "old school" type people who do things by the book.  Marches, sit-ins, protests, signature campaigns, slogans, more welfare for the people, participation in all elections, willing to make deals with Beijing when necessary.

In 2003, the Civic Party emerged.  The core consists of well-known barristers.  Idealistic, principled, human rights in every other sentence, upper-middle class.  No deals with Beijing.

Starting from 2010 or so, the "people's power" types came.  They throw things at government officials (without hitting them), engage in filibustering, interupts speeches, wears Che Guevara t-shirts to meetings.

And now we have this.  The question is, what's next?

Lettow77

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2014, 10:05:16 PM

That's nothing compared to what we would have done to you in 1860's. :lol:   Are you even a segregationist?  You are going to marry a Japanese chick.  That probably wouldn't fly well in 1960's South.  Or 1860's.

Going to? The woman has, for the better part of a year now, been an addition to my house and my diligent attendant.

In any event, I believe in an autonomist segregation that gives black law enforcement control over  black districts, decriminalizes many 'crimes' that are a part of the african-american cultural continuity, without holding them to the exacting standards that might be expected of a white citizen. At the same time, black communities should receive substantial financial subsidy from their white neighbors. Black Southerners should of course have access to the wider commonality of the South, but should be punished publicly and severely when their cultural enrichment leaks out of generously specified areas and they threaten decent society.

Segregation, as it previously existed, was an oppressive tool wielded by a fearful people. Black Southerners are our countrymen; they need decriminalization, the dole, and good shepherding.  Expecting the black man not to get in petty fights, use recreational drugs, indulge in public intoxication, or indeed expecting him to hold a regular job, is an unreasonable barrier to his entry in our society.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 02:58:33 AM

As long as they continue to operate on key public roads without police permit, I will continue to regard them as such.
And you will continue to be objectively wrong.

You're exactly the kind of person who would have denounced the marches of Gandhi and Martin Luther King.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 02, 2014, 03:31:25 AM

You're exactly the kind of person who would have denounced the marches of Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

Both destroyers of the Status Quo. :angry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Occupying key roads indefinitely hurts others in the population.  It is akin to taking society hostage.  I for one do not find this acceptable.  There are other legal channels to protest. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 04:25:43 AM

Occupying key roads indefinitely hurts others in the population.  It is akin to taking society hostage.  I for one do not find this acceptable.  There are other legal channels to protest. 

That's not rioting though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.