Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on September 30, 2014, 04:44:15 PM
Quote from: frunk on September 30, 2014, 04:33:53 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 30, 2014, 04:27:18 PM
So far they haven't done anything though.  I just don't think occupying streets is the appropriate response to the white paper.

Under what conditions would it be an appropriate response to be occupying the streets?  I'm assuming if they went after your pension you would be rioting in short order.

It is not appropriate to take the streets under any circumstances. I think civil service pay and benefits are even more secure after these incidents :contract:

HA!  The Greeks thought that as well.  Maybe after the crackdown and the replacement of the Hong Kong Bureaucracy by those deemed more loyal (I.E. not having a British passport), you can get a job driving a cab.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2014, 05:09:32 AM
Maybe after the crackdown and the replacement of the Hong Kong Bureaucracy by those deemed more loyal (I.E. not having a British passport), you can get a job driving a cab.

In Canada. :yeah:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 01, 2014, 04:15:52 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 30, 2014, 05:24:45 PM
I am afraid that you'll have to stop reading them instead :contract:

Ugh.  Can't one of the mods give this guy a "break" until the protesters break up or are broken up?

Mono, you do realize you've successfully pissed off a significant portion of the forum, right?  We joke a lot, but at some level, we at least respect that people can have problems with the government and have the right to "shake things up" to get those problems redressed.  Your inability to think past your own wallet is pretty disgusting.  Hell, you even talk about the protests ending in terms of wage shortfalls.

I know this is going to shock you, but there are people to whom having a working government means more than having a steady paycheck.  Crowing that eventually the army's going to crack down on these people for (mostly) peacefully insisting that their problems are addressed?  Stay classy, Mono.

There are anti-government protests in HK all the time.  Those who are unhappy can protest legally, and they have been doing so for years.  I however have no sympathy for those who occupy roads and attack police.

mongers

Quote from: mongers on September 30, 2014, 05:22:56 PM

You seem to be a blind to this distinction as the CCP apparatchiks you've criticised above.

Mono, if there is an near inevitable crackdown on these peaceful protesters, then please show some residual decency and don't come here crowing about it.

No, I'll continue to read the thread and wonder what happened to Mono, one of the posters I used to like the most on this forum, the guy had an eccentric and amusing take on life together with some interesting stories about life in the East. 

However too much concentrate on one character aspect has seen that Mono faded away, to be replaced with someone I'd really rather not communicate with.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: Monoriu on September 30, 2014, 04:44:15 PM
Quote from: frunk on September 30, 2014, 04:33:53 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 30, 2014, 04:27:18 PM
So far they haven't done anything though.  I just don't think occupying streets is the appropriate response to the white paper.

Under what conditions would it be an appropriate response to be occupying the streets?  I'm assuming if they went after your pension you would be rioting in short order.

It is not appropriate to take the streets under any circumstances. I think civil service pay and benefits are even more secure after these incidents :contract:

HA!  The Greeks thought that as well.  Maybe after the crackdown and the replacement of the Hong Kong Bureaucracy by those deemed more loyal (I.E. not having a British passport), you can get a job driving a cab.

You seem to underestimate the number of people in HK who hold foreign passports :contract:

Monoriu

Rioters gave ultimatum that the Chief Executive must resign.  He immediately rejected. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Monoriu on October 01, 2014, 07:09:29 AM

You seem to underestimate the number of people in HK who hold foreign passports :contract:

There are plenty of people in the mainland who fill out those positions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 01, 2014, 06:09:06 AM
Maybe after the crackdown and the replacement of the Hong Kong Bureaucracy by those deemed more loyal (I.E. not having a British passport), you can get a job driving a cab.

In Cargaly. I can see a sitcom concept brewing.  :hmm:

Mono could be played by the crazy Spanish teacher/janitor guy from the Community.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2014, 07:28:19 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 01, 2014, 06:09:06 AM

In Cargaly. I can see a sitcom concept brewing.  :hmm:

Mono could be played by the crazy Spanish teacher/janitor guy from the Community.

I like Ben Stiller.

Lettow77

While I find Mono's rhetoric to be reprehensible, I'm leery of the requests to crack down on him. His opinion is a rancorous one, but it is representative of the embattled elites of Hong Kong. He is being true to his class and section by being so despicable.

Were this the 1960s, I wonder if Languish would be calling for bans on me for despicable pro-segregationist rhetoric? It seems unreasonable to punish a white male Southerner of that era for voicing such opinions, however poorly they may play on a wider international stage; similarly it doesn't feel right to be moved to want to see Mono censured and censored for being a filthy Chinese bureaucrat; we've all known him to be such, it is only that just now international events push the more disgusting, avaricious, self-aggrandizing and cravenly myopic aspects of his nature to the forefront.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

1960s?  Hell, we do that now, you useless pile of confederate monkey spunk.

garbon

Ugh.  Can't one of the mods give this guy a "break" until the protesters break up or are broken up?

Mono, you do realize you've successfully pissed off a significant portion of the forum, right?  We joke a lot, but at some level, we at least respect that people can have problems with the government and have the right to "shake things up" to get those problems redressed.  Your inability to think past your own wallet is pretty disgusting.  Hell, you even talk about the protests ending in terms of wage shortfalls.

I know this is going to shock you, but there are people to whom having a working government means more than having a steady paycheck.  Crowing that eventually the army's going to crack down on these people for (mostly) peacefully insisting that their problems are addressed?  Stay classy, Mono.

I'll agree that this post is frenzied. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 01, 2014, 09:01:14 AM
1960s?  Hell, we do that now, you useless pile of confederate monkey spunk.

:thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 01, 2014, 08:57:27 AM
While I find Mono's rhetoric to be reprehensible, I'm leery of the requests to crack down on him. His opinion is a rancorous one, but it is representative of the embattled elites of Hong Kong. He is being true to his class and section by being so despicable.

Were this the 1960s, I wonder if Languish would be calling for bans on me for despicable pro-segregationist rhetoric? It seems unreasonable to punish a white male Southerner of that era for voicing such opinions, however poorly they may play on a wider international stage; similarly it doesn't feel right to be moved to want to see Mono censured and censored for being a filthy Chinese bureaucrat; we've all known him to be such, it is only that just now international events push the more disgusting, avaricious, self-aggrandizing and cravenly myopic aspects of his nature to the forefront.

A low tier civil service office drone is hardly an elite  :P 

And elites don't like anime. 

derspiess

That's kind of an overreaction.  Mono has his POV, we have ours.  Chill.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall