Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

You've made a successful argument through the entire thread that most people can't obtain what you have, and the fact that the civil service is so exclusive and closed-off is a major source of this current resentment. It's a bit late to be backtracking from the stance that you are firmly in the elitist camp.

Although I will readily concede your anime taste is pretty plebian.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

frunk

Monoriu strikes me as valuing stability and consistency more than almost anything else.  I think that's at the root of his contempt for the protesters rather than any class/wealth divide.  Anybody who rocks the boat is detested.

Tamas

HVC

If people were protesting in front of your home and work you wouldn't like them any more than mono. It's not like the occupy walstreet or g8 protestors got much love
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: HVC on October 01, 2014, 09:32:08 AM
If people were protesting in front of your home and work you wouldn't like them any more than mono. It's not like the occupy walstreet or g8 protestors got much love

I don't recall OWS having coherent aims.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: HVC on October 01, 2014, 09:32:08 AM

but they weren't protesting  a communist gov then.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Personally I have no intention to censor Mono. I value his point of view, even as I find some of his ways of expressing it extremely distasteful. But honestly... what he's saying here isn't particularly off for many posts here on different subjects, even if there perhaps is some sort of ironic veneer of "humour".

But this...

Quote from: Lettow77 on October 01, 2014, 08:57:27 AM
Were this the 1960s, I wonder if Languish would be calling for bans on me for despicable pro-segregationist rhetoric? It seems unreasonable to punish a white male Southerner of that era for voicing such opinions, however poorly they may play on a wider international stage;

... just fuck off.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 01, 2014, 06:09:06 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 01, 2014, 05:09:32 AM
Maybe after the crackdown and the replacement of the Hong Kong Bureaucracy by those deemed more loyal (I.E. not having a British passport), you can get a job driving a cab.

In Canada. :yeah:

Uber is now in Toronto and is coming to Vancouver so he will have to go to Calgary to drive a cab.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2014, 09:57:08 AM
... just fuck off.

Did that seriously piss you off?  Why do you let him get in your head like that?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on October 01, 2014, 10:04:11 AM
Quote from: Jacob on October 01, 2014, 09:57:08 AM
... just fuck off.

Did that seriously piss you off?  Why do you let him get in your head like that?

Haha no, no pissing off. Just a "this is a complete waste of time and bankrupt in every way, but I can't be bothered coming up with a clever way to dismiss it so 'just fuck off' will have to do."

Thanks for the concern, though :hug:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2014, 09:36:12 AM
Our Hillary. :wub:
i blame my phone. That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

A Japanese friend of mine has posted a photo of a demonstration in Tokyo in support of the Honk Kong protesters.

I get the feeling that's not gonna help...