Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 29, 2014, 04:03:17 AM
I have a secret...

Protesters block buildings/infrastructure because, if they didn't, the protests would be ignored/ineffective.  :secret:

I have a secret too.  The standing committee members in Beijing won't change their minds even if you occupy some roads in HK.   :secret:

Tonitrus

And that is how you end up with bloody revolutions.  :)

Monoriu

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 29, 2014, 04:28:53 AM

There has been no bloody revolution after Tian An Men. 

Zanza

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on September 29, 2014, 04:40:52 AM

Because the Chinese middle class wasn't big enough yet. At one point it will be.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on September 29, 2014, 04:59:36 AM
Yet.

It has been 25 years. That's long enough by any standard.

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2014, 05:01:06 AM

Because the Chinese middle class wasn't big enough yet. At one point it will be.

The Chinese middle class is already gigantic. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on September 29, 2014, 05:03:35 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2014, 05:01:06 AM

The Chinese middle class is already gigantic.
Then every significant massacre or economic down turn from here now runs the serious risk of spawning a revolution.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 29, 2014, 05:08:00 AM
Then every significant massacre or economic down turn from here now runs the serious risk of spawning a revolution.

That's true. 

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on September 29, 2014, 05:03:07 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 29, 2014, 04:59:36 AM
Yet.

It has been 25 years. That's long enough by any standard.
The last 25 years must be some of the best in Chinese history. Never before have so many people been freed from poverty. And young people had lots of chances to better their lot in life.
But if young mainland Chinese would face the same situation that young Hongkongnese (is that a word? ;)) face right now, it could quickly lead to considerable unrest.

Martinus

If revolution comes, do we have Mono's real name to send to the Committee of Public Safety?

The Larch

I must say that after reading the whole thread and Mono's pettiness and apparent glee at having a bunch of kids with extremely bleak life prospects who are actually willing to stand up for what they believe manhandled by riot police, while spewing against them as he has never ever done before in this forums, coupled with his incredibly and mind bogingly myopic perspective of life has turned him into an extremely unsavoury character for me. I don't care if it's a schtick or not, it's fucking disgusting.

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on September 29, 2014, 06:14:47 AM
I must say that after reading the whole thread and Mono's pettiness and apparent glee at having a bunch of kids with extremely bleak life prospects who are actually willing to stand up for what they believe manhandled by riot police, while spewing against them as he has never ever done before in this forums, coupled with his incredibly and mind bogingly myopic perspective of life has turned him into an extremely unsavoury character for me. I don't care if it's a schtick or not, it's fucking disgusting.

Can't say I disagree. With the likes of Hortlund and dorsey gone, I think he might be the person with the most despicable proffessed views on the board right now.

Tamas

On the other hand if he is caught commenting pro-protest stuff with his IP, he can kiss his career good bye

Tamas

Plus this is something I am already noticing on some of the Hungarians i know: having accepted the regime as inevitable and un-toppable, they start to grow annoyed at attacks against it (despite never liking it and still not liking it), and perceive them as steering up unnecessary trouble