Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 08:29:28 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 08:27:34 AM
I'm not sure this is a wholly edifying spectacle, not the demonstration, but mono's cheer-leading for the forces of oppression.   

Almost like he's enjoying it?

Or is it more a case of I don't have nor want freedom, so I hope others in my society fail in their attempt to gain some?

The police are the forces of good and order  :bowler:

I think you should be banned from using that smiley as you clearly don't understand or appreciate much about what it represents.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 08:32:00 AM

I think you should be banned from using that smiley as you clearly don't understand or appreciate much about what it represents.  <_<

:bowler: :bowler: :bowler:

Monoriu

It has spread to different parts of HK, as rioters tried to stop police reinforcements from going to government HQs.  Street battles everywhere. 

Monoriu

I think HK will never be the same.  The have-nots will now walk the path of open disobedience. 

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:06:29 AM
I think HK will never be the same.  The have-nots will now walk the path of open disobedience.

:o

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Monoriu

My workplace, now defended by riot police.

Monoriu

Quote from: Savonarola on September 28, 2014, 09:10:43 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:06:29 AM

:o

HK's entire reason for existance is a closed China.  If China opens up and trades with the rest of the world, why is there a need for a middleman?  HK's best days are long gone.  Our factories are gone; our ports are no longer needed.  Really, the only thing left is finance.  But finance tends to make a very small number of people very rich.  The rest are left with low level retail, cleansing, and security jobs that can't be outsourced to China, or can't be automated.  Young people no longer have hope for the future.  They realise that their only hope is to build a welfare state for the losers, and they want more government participation in the economy so that corporations will create more jobs for them.  Since they can't replace the government that has refused their request by votes, they now try to unseat the government through civil disobedience. 

mongers

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:11:32 AM

My workplace, now defended by riot police.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Police reinforcements arriving by train.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2014, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 09:22:20 AM
I don't get the reference. 

It isn't like I live in North Korea.  I can go to any website I want.  The courts are truly independent.  I have all the freedoms I want.  I don't have democracy, true.  But I don't really mind, because the people who want it only want to rob me. 

Monoriu

The student unions have asked students to withdraw if police fire live rounds, or use sonic cannon (hint, hint) :contract:

Not sure if they really have sonic cannons though.  The police plan to disperse the crowd through tear gas alone has failed.  The crowd disperses for a while, then gathers again when the gas dissipates.  Police intention to clear the roads as soon as possible is clear, so the only problem is to find a way.  Since tear gas alone doesn't work, my guess is that they will wait for reinforcements.  When the numbers look good, they'll fire an intense round of tear gas, then thousands of riot police will charge into the crowd with shields and batons to prevent them from gathering again.  Tomorrow is a Monday, which is important because most people have full time jobs.

Monoriu

Rumour is that the police have fired rubber rounds. 

celedhring

I know what it means, but every time I read "live rounds", I just can't stop thinking on...