Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Police are advancing.  Squads of police armed with chemical warfare suits and rifles advanced into the middle of the crowds, then fired tear gas in all directions.  First highway half cleared. 

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

The rioters are back.  Standoff with police now.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 05:20:40 AM
Tear gas used.  Police have put up warning signs that they need to leave the highway immediately, or they may use live rounds.

Yeah, that happens, your mini-welfare state will be gone.  It's hard to support a welfare state when every other country suddenly refuses to do business with you.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 28, 2014, 07:26:20 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 05:20:40 AM
Tear gas used.  Police have put up warning signs that they need to leave the highway immediately, or they may use live rounds.

Yeah, that happens, your mini-welfare state will be gone.  It's hard to support a welfare state when every other country suddenly refuses to do business with you.

They still do business with China after Tian An Men.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 07:31:50 AM

Have you seen the US/China balance of trade lately?  It's taking forever to dig ourselves out of that hole, but it's still happening.  The main issue is that China owns so much of the US' massive debt balance.

The general sentiment in the US (and possibly several other countries as well) is that doing business with China is a necessary evil, and one to which new alternatives are being found every day.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 28, 2014, 07:36:09 AM

Have you seen the US/China balance of trade lately?  It's taking forever to dig ourselves out of that hole, but it's still happening.  The main issue is that China owns so much of the US' massive debt balance.

The general sentiment in the US (and possibly several other countries as well) is that doing business with China is a necessary evil, and one to which new alternatives are being found every day.

I just don't see how the rest of the world can stop trading with China. 

Monoriu

Turns out that the arrested university level student leader is a minor.  His 18th birthday is next month.  They used this as a reason to apply for his release, and the courts approved.

Monoriu

Monoriu

Still have no idea how to go to work tomorrow.  I hope they arrange police buses for staff.

Monoriu

Where are the water cannons and armoured cars that I as taxpayer helped pay for? 

Zanza

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 28, 2014, 07:36:09 AM

US business with China only really took off in the decade after the Tiananmen Square Massacre.

Monoriu

Police reinforcements from all over HK, in full riot gear, are arriving by underground train.  Thousands of them.  HK has 30,000 policemen.  They will likely clear the roads tonight.

mongers

I'm not sure this is a wholly edifying spectacle, not the demonstration, but mono's cheer-leading for the forces of oppression.   

Almost like he's enjoying it?

Or is it more a case of I don't have nor want freedom, so I hope others in my society fail in their attempt to gain some?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: mongers on September 28, 2014, 08:27:34 AM
I'm not sure this is a wholly edifying spectacle, not the demonstration, but mono's cheer-leading for the forces of oppression.   

Almost like he's enjoying it?

Or is it more a case of I don't have nor want freedom, so I hope others in my society fail in their attempt to gain some?

The police are the forces of good and order  :bowler: