Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on September 23, 2014, 01:26:08 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 23, 2014, 01:22:07 AM
As a civil servant, you're already benefiting from the welfare state.

HK is already a welfare state, with one exception.  We already have free and compulsory education, free public health care, and public housing for half the population.  The only thing lacking is retirement benefits.  Traditionally, children provide for their parents in Chinese societies.  But as the birthrate declines in recent decades, that is no longer practical.  The government has steadfastly refused to provide a public pension.  To do so means raising the income tax by a few percentage points.

Is it a cultural thing? I mean is there a stigma that you have to care for your parents?

We used to have that but I think it's mostly gone now. Boomers shredded most of the old responsibilities.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 23, 2014, 05:37:39 PM

Is it a cultural thing? I mean is there a stigma that you have to care for your parents?

We used to have that but I think it's mostly gone now. Boomers shredded most of the old responsibilities.

Yeah, it is very strong.  My wife still pays monthly support for her parents today, even though her parents don't really need such support. 

Monoriu

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 23, 2014, 12:54:51 PM

Sounds like an opportunity for the USA - offer citizenship for any HK student with a good academic record who is subject to criminal sanction in HK for engaging in political protest.
Skim off the best and brightest.

The best and brightest probably come from better off families, who likely already have foreign citizenship of some sort. 

Monoriu

It is now all but certain that the demonstrators will take the plunge on 1 October (a public holiday in HK) and occupy Central.  They will join a "feast for democracy" on that day, and participants are reminded to bring enough supplies.  They speak in code words for fear of being arrested beforehand.  The police have vowed to immediately arrest anybody and everybody who do so. 

Since I work in the same complex as all cabinet ministers, I think I also need to consider bringing some bottled water and biscuits just in case the police lock down the place in street battles with thousands of demonstrators  :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 01:02:21 PM
I thought the Edsel came out after the embargo started. :nerd:

Jesus Henry Christ, Yi.

KRonn

Sheesh Monoriou, you're going to wind up in the midst of it all.

Monoriu

There is no denying that the people are angry.  It is like a child asking his parents to take him to a vacation.  The parents have stalled for 30 years and kept saying that they will do so if his grades are good, they'll do it later, etc.  Now that the time to fulfill the promise has finally arrived, the parents now say that vacation means going camping in the park 2 blocks away.  Essentially it is like putting the foot down and finally admitting that there will be no vacation after all these decades. 

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: KRonn on September 23, 2014, 09:19:56 PM
Pretty cool. He should have a WKAP feed going.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on September 24, 2014, 07:11:37 AM
Quote from: KRonn on September 23, 2014, 09:19:56 PM
Pretty cool. He should have a WKAP feed going.

And get labelled as a political dissident? :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on September 23, 2014, 09:58:08 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 23, 2014, 09:54:40 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2014, 08:01:08 AM
Tamas thinks everyone on the left wants a welfare state.

Is he wrong?

Yeah, how can you be a leftie without wanting a welfare state? Unless you're going for the whole collectivization shebang, it's the centerpiece of redistribution politics.

His comment was still illogical. The fact that I don't think the only reason to have democracy is to have a welfare state does not mean that I don't want a welfare state - I just find democracy much more useful and beneficial than just that.

Monoriu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ3fs3p2R2g

And so it begins.  Striking students attacked the main government building last night, and riot police were mobilised to defend the place.  Over 70 intruders, mostly students, have been arrested.  About a thousand people were still in the vicinity, including the Catholic Cardinal.  Police have warned that this is an illegal gathering and they will take action soon.

Why are people surprised that they are pepper sprayed when they enter government premises illegally?

In other news I have refuelled the car and replenished our home's supplies, including 60 bottles of water.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on September 27, 2014, 07:18:59 AM
Why are people surprised that they are pepper sprayed when they enter government premises illegally?

Were they surprised?  Did they say, "hey, we're surprised!"?

QuoteIn other news I have refuelled the car and replenished our home's supplies, including 60 bottles of water.

If you plan on not leaving Fortress Jiangxi, why refuel the car?  Think of all the extra water you could've bought.

Eddie Teach

He needs the car fueled so he can get to the airport.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 27, 2014, 08:04:02 AM
He needs the car fueled so he can get to the airport.

And do what? He can't get work anywhere else.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

The #1 student leader has already been arrested, handcuffed and dragged away in front of cameras, for inciting violence.