And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2014, 11:12:54 AM
In the parts of English speaking of Canada I've been in, you usually take mandatory French starting at some point in elementary school. It goes on into part of high school, at which point it becomes optional (usually you're required one or two years in high school).
Interestingly that seems less French than was the system  being introduced in Scotland when I lived there. There you started as soon as you started primary school and wouldn't be allowed to quit until you were 16.

Unfortunately most of the teachers weren't fluent (except in high schools) so they were normally only a lesson ahead of their classes and I don't think it was terrible successful. Though it may have got better and I think it's been extended to other languages like Gaelic and Spanish.

Interestingly French has always been the dominant foreign language you learn in Scotland, in England it's the 'easier' German. The Auld Alliance indeed :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2014, 12:16:24 PM
I think making that analogy only serves to condemn you.
What if I'm an english speaker and I don't want to hear french spoken in my shop?  How is that intolerant that there'd be laws affirming the right of someone to speak french if he wants to?  Sounds to me like you want french speakers to simply surrender without a fight.  You've already decided it's a lost cause and you want us to surrender our future as a nation.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 13, 2014, 12:21:25 PM
rather bizarre analogy since one can learn a language but not pick his sexuality
If a language can simply be learnt, then there is no problem for the anglo-community of Quebec...
I think it goes a little deeper than that.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 13, 2014, 12:42:12 PM
In the US it depends on the state (sadly), but generally speaking you can't discriminate against people in hiring or service.
But that would be an infringement on that person's individual rights to hire whom he/she wants.
Which brings us to the limits on individual rights...

It seems it is ok to infring on one's individual rights to prevent un undesired side effect.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2014, 06:26:19 PM
What if I'm an english speaker and I don't want to hear french spoken in my shop?  How is that intolerant that there'd be laws affirming the right of someone to speak french if he wants to?  Sounds to me like you want french speakers to simply surrender without a fight.  You've already decided it's a lost cause and you want us to surrender our future as a nation.

If you are an English speaker and don't want to hear French in your shop then you are pretty bigoted.

Also, why do you love strawmen so much? I've already said in this thread that I think it is good to have laws that allow people to converse in whatever language they choose. But that's not really what Quebec's language laws are about, now is it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on September 13, 2014, 07:00:17 PM
If you are an English speaker and don't want to hear French in your shop then you are pretty bigoted.

Unless they're glancing at you while they're talking, and occasionally laughing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

As long as they're talking they're not miming, which is a blessing.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2014, 06:29:07 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 13, 2014, 12:21:25 PM
rather bizarre analogy since one can learn a language but not pick his sexuality
If a language can simply be learnt, then there is no problem for the anglo-community of Quebec...
I think it goes a little deeper than that.
we have the same problem with francophones here, as you well know.
One has to be willing, but when one is then language can be learnt. No one is even asking for perfection or even fluency. Making a sincere effort will generally do the trick

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2014, 11:06:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 12, 2014, 10:48:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 12, 2014, 10:43:27 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 12, 2014, 02:12:16 PM
So based on this thread it sounds like that in all students in Canada should have some familiarity with both official languages; is that a fair assessment?
French speakers start english lessons in 1st grade.
English speakers start french lessons in 7th grade.

It likely goes without saying, but that's probably overly broad, right?
I think it's 1hr a week in 1st to 3rd grade.  It then increases gradually in 4th, 5th grade and then half a year in english for 6th grade, for all classes.
Can't be sure about the exact numbers, don't trust me on this.  Tried to find it, found a lenghy document filled with educational mumbo jumbo that doesn't make any sense, can't find the total hours per week dedicated to english, decided to forget about it.

As for the english, this is valid for Ontario and New Brunswick. Don't think it's radically different in other provinces.

My son is currently having French, and he is in grade 4.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2014, 11:29:04 AM

My son is currently having French, and he is in grade 4.
He's in grade 4 already? Jesus. Time flies.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on September 13, 2014, 06:26:19 PM

Since your examples are so outlandish, I am still not sure which side you are on. In that example, are you arguing that you should have a right to ban French speakers from your shop? Or that you shouldn't be able to do that?

For the record, I think you shouldn't be able to do it. If you run a shop open to the public (and not a closed club), you shouldn't be able to ban customers on arbitrary pretences, whether they are black, male, gay or speak French.