News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Canadian Language Education Questions

Started by Savonarola, September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I don't want to interrupt the fine debate in the Scotia-Quebec independence thread1; but some of the comments made me curious on how French and English are taught in Canada.

1.)  Are students in French schools required to take English and vice-versa?  If so how much?
2.)  Are there bilingual schools similar to the US model; that is where most of the instruction is in the provinces dominant language, but part of the day is in the other official language?
3.)  If you are French/English Canadian how much English/French did you study?

(1.)  The audd alliance
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: Savonarola on September 12, 2014, 11:02:20 AM
I don't want to interrupt the fine debate in the Scotia-Quebec independence thread1; but some of the comments made me curious on how French and English are taught in Canada.

1.)  Are students in French schools required to take English and vice-versa?  If so how much?
2.)  Are there bilingual schools similar to the US model; that is where most of the instruction is in the provinces dominant language, but part of the day is in the other official language?
3.)  If you are French/English Canadian how much English/French did you study?

(1.)  The audd alliance

In the parts of English speaking of Canada I've been in, you usually take mandatory French starting at some point in elementary school. It goes on into part of high school, at which point it becomes optional (usually you're required one or two years in high school).

There are, as part of the public education system, French immersion schools where - starting from kindergarten, but with possible entry points at other times - the language of instruction is primarily French. There are also, I believe, some programs where French is heavily emphasized (started earlier); and where some of the classes are in also in French. These immersion schools are generally highly sought after by parents.

Personally, I had little French instruction, but that's because I came to Canada a few days before high school started and was busy enough getting my English sorted.

EDIT: also, French education tends to be more emphasized closer to Quebec and closer to the federal government, in my observation.

Grey Fox

Education varies by provinces.

In Quebec. We have both English & French schools system. They have different rules & requirement & curriculum.

English system offers French Immersion & French classes starting in Elementary school. This system seems to use a 6+7(or 8?) american type school.

The French system offers English Immersion (2nd, 4th & 6th year in Elementary school) and regular English classes starting 4th year. High School has English classes in all 5 years. This sytem uses a 6 Primary + 5 High School system.

All this tend to vary by schools & school system.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

It's important to note that in Quebec access to English-language education is restricted - if you are a francophone, or if you are a new immigrant, you must send your child to french language school.

In Alberta we actually have about three different streams.  English-language education is standard, of course.  You have a separate French class at some point.

Second, there is French immersion.  It is designed to take english-speaking kids and make them fluent in French.

Finally, there are francophone schools, designed for children whose first language is french.

You can also throw in there are some schools offering German or Spanish immersion, as well as schools offering Ukrainian immersion.

For me, although French immersion has an appeal, in the end I'd like my kids to attend the highly-rated local school that they can walk to, rather than have to travel and take the bus.  So they'll get an English language education.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Interesting that despite the claims of strangulation and such, it is actually only the French who *demand* that certain population segments be forced into a particular language, regardless of their wishes otherwise.

That seems like the exact opposite of the complaints being made.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2014, 12:25:50 PM
Interesting that despite the claims of strangulation and such, it is actually only the French who *demand* that certain population segments be forced into a particular language, regardless of their wishes otherwise.

Do not do what, we Quebecers often do, and ignore the fact French Canada is not only Quebec.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on September 12, 2014, 12:25:50 PM

There's always private school. Enough with the hyperbole.

The Brain

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2014, 12:17:31 PM
Second, there is French immersion.

Somehow, the expression "French immersion" invokes in me images of being submerged in giant vats full of snails and brie.

The Brain

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on September 12, 2014, 12:17:31 PM
You can also throw in there are some schools offering German or Spanish immersion, as well as schools offering Ukrainian immersion.

They should require a certain percentage of the students be Russian immersion fifth columnists for added realism.

Are these public schools which offer non-official language immersion?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock