And we're back!

Main Menu

What's the deal with Mayor Rob Ford??

Started by OttoVonBismarck, November 04, 2013, 03:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on September 12, 2014, 01:47:12 PM
Rob Ford out, Doug Ford in.

Rob and Doug?  Was the primary campaign issue that there weren't enough parking spaces at the take out doughnut shops?  :Canuck:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on September 12, 2014, 03:25:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 12, 2014, 03:13:40 PM
My own theory is that part of Rob Ford's appeal was exactly that he drove his enemies (meaning, most of us  :P ) nuts with his reprehensible antics, and that this actually made his followers like him the more - that he was, in effect, trolling us (albeit not wholly conciously): as in 'look at those effite downtown elitists clutching their pearls and fainting as our "bad boy from the 'burbs" Rob gets wasted and stirs up shit'. Doug lacks that bizzare form of charisma.

I can totally see that.

The truly odd thing about Rob Ford is that he - and his family - exuded hard-assed street cred - drug dealing, sister was a hard drug addict, had guys beaten up in jail, drinking "purple Jesus" in parks and smoking crack, etc. - while actually being from a very wealthy upper class background and living in a very nice shady old neighbourhood (not far, in fact, from me!).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Carl's gonna have a great political career :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I could see why people would vote for him: "he's hilarious, and he can't break anything".

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 12, 2014, 03:33:44 PM
Yeah, I could see why people would vote for him: "he's hilarious, and he can't break anything".
ya, he has little enough power that I don't care he's mayor. It's like a Chris Farley as mayor movie, but live.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

:lol:

So if Doug gets booted out next will their dog Hosehead take over? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall