Yes (I'd vote no)
8 (12.1%)
No (I'd vote yes)
4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Josquius

Not at all, though the SNP does seem to be trying to make it so, which really annoys some people in southern Scotland, which has never been Gaelic speaking.
It's quite strange really considering boosting the scots language nonsense seems it would be right up their alley, but... Nope.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that Lloyds and RBS have announced they will move their HQs to England if Scotland becomes independent.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2014, 03:57:56 PM
Heard on NPR that Lloyds and RBS have announced they will move their HQs to England if Scotland becomes independent.

I wonder if RBS will discontinue printing its Scottish pound notes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2014, 04:12:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2014, 03:57:56 PM

I wonder if RBS will discontinue printing its Scottish pound notes.

They will have to if they move their HQ to England.

The Bank of England has a monopoly on printing banknotes in England but merely regulates the printing of banknotes in Scotland and NI (for this particular case Wales is part of England).

Josquius

So... Who is right on the banks moving front, the nats or BT?
Salmond is claiming it wouldn't matter because it would just be a technicality and since most of their business is in Scotland all the tax would still go there.
This seems unusual to me... Don't several countries such  as Ireland, the caymans,etc... make huge money from companies that are mostly based elsewhere being registered in their country?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Is most of their business there?

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2014, 04:45:41 PM
So... Who is right on the banks moving front, the nats or BT?
Salmond is claiming it wouldn't matter because it would just be a technicality and since most of their business is in Scotland all the tax would still go there.
This seems unusual to me... Don't several countries such  as Ireland, the caymans,etc... make huge money from companies that are mostly based elsewhere being registered in their country?
Scotland will get the taxes for the people working in Scotland.  If the HQ moves to London, I doubt the top paid people will remain in Scotland.

And right now, I doubt that UK banks, based in London or Scotland pay any corporate tax to the UK.  I imagine most of the profits are funelled to a low tax jurisdiction.  Aren't there islands belonging to the UK not far from France which are considered tax heaven?

So, Salmond may be right, it just depends on wich taxes he's talking about...

Technically, all corporate taxes should be paid in the country where profits are realized.  In practice though, they will manage to have their local division buy the products at an inflated price from another division in a country where they have close to zero taxes.  This is what EA and Micrsoft Europe are in doing, though I'm simplyfying the process involved for the sake of discussion.

Then of course, you have whealthy individuals trying to avoid taxes by having part of their revenues hidden in shelter corporations in fiscal paradises that offer secrecy.  If Scotland tries to tax their wealthy people too much, you'll see tax evasion rising.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 11, 2014, 02:45:41 PM
As for the :scots: latest opinion polls still show a narrow but consistent lead for "No", 48-42%.
http://www.bbc.com/news/events/scotland-decides/poll-tracker

I took a close watch at these numbers.  they are crazy!

September 2nd: 48% No, 42% yes
September 5th:  45% No, 47% yes  -weird shift here
September 11th: 50% no, 45% yes - in line with the first one, but not the second, indecisive people splitting about equally toward each option.
All from You-Gov.

Survation has two polls in the last 30 days, both 48% No, 42% Yes.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Poll volatility isn't a surprise, people aren't backing a given party they've had a long commitment to, but rather more a sentiment, something that can perhaps change more often and maybe some people have flipped several times on the issue.

IIRC there was still something like 22% undecided within the last week, so still lots to play for, could go either way like a toss of a coin?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Reported today a record 97% of the Scottish population* have registered to vote in the referendum.

* I assume they mean adult population.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2014, 07:39:48 PM
Reported to day a record 97% of the Scottish population* have registered to vote in the referendum.

Is any resident qualified to vote?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2014, 07:49:10 PM
Reported to day a record 97% of the Scottish population* have registered to vote in the referendum.

That I don't know.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on September 11, 2014, 08:09:19 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 11, 2014, 07:49:10 PM

That I don't know.

Any Uk or EU citizen resident in Scotland can vote.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Alright, I shovelled out most of the pointless Quebec wankery into its own thread. Let's try not to shit this thread up again?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on September 12, 2014, 12:04:44 AM
Alright, I shovelled out most of the pointless Quebec wankery into its own thread. Let's try not to shit this thread up again?

Let's talk about something less contentious like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."