Saskatchewan thought about leaving Canada if Quebec voted for independence in 95

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2014, 07:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2014, 12:26:49 AM

You obviously are not Canadian.

I am not canadian. In fact, I admit I don't even know where Canada is. I once went to Toronto, which I thought was in Canada, but the money there had the queen of england on it, so I guess I was wrong.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 11:43:08 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2014, 08:39:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2014, 08:15:00 PM
Have Quebec and the Western provinces been allies?  :huh:
No, but without Quebec in it Ontario will have as many people as the rest of the Confederation combined. That's a bit unbalanced wouldn't you say?

Having their own western nation would be better for their interests rather than being dictated to from Ottawa wouldn't it?

Tommy - don't talk about topics you know nothing about.

:huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 26, 2014, 12:38:40 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2014, 08:39:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2014, 08:15:00 PM
Have Quebec and the Western provinces been allies?  :huh:
No, but without Quebec in it Ontario will have as many people as the rest of the Confederation combined. That's a bit unbalanced wouldn't you say?

Having their own western nation would be better for their interests rather than being dictated to from Ottawa wouldn't it?

Tommy - don't talk about topics you know nothing about.

:huh:

That deaf dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pin ball!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Barrister knows what he's talking about. The rest of you are mostly engaging in Timmy level alt-history.

Grey Fox

What a thread. Now that some news. RoC isn't that into Canada. Thank god for Roy Romanow.

also, an independant Quebec will petition for US statehood within a generation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2014, 03:18:45 PM
What a thread. Now that some news. RoC isn't that into Canada. Thank god for Roy Romanow.

and then, in ironies of ironies, French would cease to be spoken in quebec a few generations after that.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

We haven't managed to get them to stop speaking Spanish in California and Texas.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Peurto Rico has been semi-attached to the US for over one hundred years and still hasn't applied for statehood.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2014, 04:09:08 PM
Peurto Rico has been semi-attached to the US for over one hundred years and still hasn't applied for statehood.

They'd be foolish to do so.  Right now they get all the goodies and skip the bill.

Ed Anger

Thank god.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quebec and the west (in particular Alberta) have often been allies in provincial-federal negotiations.  Those two provinces stood strongly in favour of more provincial powers, as opposed to more centralization.
Lévesque was back-stabbed by them, so they can't really be trusted.
And Meech has proven how timid they are to really tackle the Feds on decentralization issues.

I think the provinces are just starting to see how a big fed gov can be problematic, but it has yet to hit them really hard.  It's their canadian sense of loyalty to the Queen&all that I blame for that.  Never protest against divine authority and such ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2014, 04:00:56 PM
and then, in ironies of ironies, French would cease to be spoken in quebec a few generations after that.
not really.  We would be decentralized and the Federal government wouldn't much care if Quebec has an official language law or not.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2014, 05:19:40 PM

They'd be foolish to do so.  Right now they get all the goodies and skip the bill.
Tell me more about how to become such a US protectorate?