Saskatchewan thought about leaving Canada if Quebec voted for independence in 95

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2014, 07:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2014, 12:09:50 PM
I still say you guys should petition for statehood if Quebec ever leaves kicks the rest of Canada out.
Most of it would become US National Park Service jurisdiction anyway.

That's my preferred scenario as well: throw a (fat) bone to the US by giving them everything west of Ontario (including the oil sands), along with all the (displaced) English speaking inhabitants of the territories remaining under Quebec's control (Ontario, Newfoundland, the Maritimes).  We could take the excess population from a France & Belgium already beset with hordes of Muslims;  thus the XVIIIth century french north American empire (minus Louisiana) would be reborn!

I also have a weird boner now! ^_^

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

Yeah, the US wouldn't be keen to have fascist regime on the border.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

A quarter of the U.S. probably thinks we're practically a fascist regime right now.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on August 25, 2014, 07:49:31 PM
That's my preferred scenario as well: throw a (fat) bone to the US by giving them everything west of Ontario (including the oil sands), along with all the (displaced) English speaking inhabitants of the territories remaining under Quebec's control (Ontario, Newfoundland, the Maritimes).  We could take the excess population from a France & Belgium already beset with hordes of Muslims;  thus the XVIIIth century french north American empire (minus Louisiana) would be reborn!

I also have a weird boner now! ^_^

G.

Keep all the Indians and you have a deal.

Grallon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 25, 2014, 07:52:23 PM
Yeah, the US wouldn't be keen to have fascist regime on the border.

It would be fascist under my rule yes - for a time (because a dictatorship is meant only temporarily) - but sadly I'm not in a position of power.

-----

@ Yi - no problem - the savages will be brought to heel in any case.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 11:36:42 AM
Now the "Saskatchewan might have left too" is a complete red herring.  Saskatchewan did a report saying "everything's on the table" - big deal.  They never identified that as being preferable or likely.

What's more interesting is buried in the story - that Parizeau was going to barrel through to a quick UDI (though I think we knew that), and that Dumont and Bouchard were in disagreement with that.  Also interesting was Chretien's talk of forming a "national unity government", though inviting a fellow Liberal premier into cabinet doesn't sound like very much "national unity".
If Quebec left wouldn't Ontario completely dominate the rest of the Confederation? Would the West accept that? Wouldn't option number two, where they break off to form their own Western Confederation be better for them?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 25, 2014, 06:37:18 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2014, 04:24:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 12:32:15 PM
Why the hell would we want to do that?  By most measurements, Canada's the preferable country.
You guys should consider applying to enter Confederation.
You'd have to forget about singing God Save the Queen while raising the flag every morning.  I'm not sure Canadians are ready for that.
Man, you guys have weird propaganda :D

I was just remembering the Equality Party victory back in the 80s, they were singing that as their victory song.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2014, 08:15:00 PM
Have Quebec and the Western provinces been allies?  :huh:
No, but without Quebec in it Ontario will have as many people as the rest of the Confederation combined. That's a bit unbalanced wouldn't you say?

Having their own western nation would be better for their interests rather than being dictated to from Ottawa wouldn't it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2014, 08:39:15 PM
Having their own western nation would be better for their interests rather than being dictated to from Ottawa wouldn't it?

Not necessarily.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 25, 2014, 08:39:15 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 25, 2014, 08:15:00 PM
Have Quebec and the Western provinces been allies?  :huh:
No, but without Quebec in it Ontario will have as many people as the rest of the Confederation combined. That's a bit unbalanced wouldn't you say?

Tommy - don't talk about topics you know nothing about.

Quebec and the west (in particular Alberta) have often been allies in provincial-federal negotiations.  Those two provinces stood strongly in favour of more provincial powers, as opposed to more centralization.

I can't see why it would matter if Ontario contained half of the overall population.  Remember it isn't the provincial government represented in Ottawa - instead it is 100+ individual constituencies, each with their own particular issues.  In the UK right now England contains the large majority of the population, yet it doesn't seem to have harmed that country.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 11:43:08 PM
In the UK right now England contains the large majority of the population, yet it doesn't seem to have harmed that country.

That country is on the precipice of disintegration.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2014, 12:05:33 AM
In the UK right now England contains the large majority of the population, yet it doesn't seem to have harmed that country.

Not according to the latest opinion polls I've seen.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2014, 12:17:05 AM

You just refuted that the country is on the precipice of disintegration by citing "the latest opinion polls." Surely that is a sign that all is not well?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on August 26, 2014, 12:22:56 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2014, 12:17:05 AM

You just refuted that the country is on the precipice of disintegration by citing "the latest opinion polls." Surely that is a sign that all is not well?

You obviously are not Canadian.