Saskatchewan thought about leaving Canada if Quebec voted for independence in 95

Started by jimmy olsen, August 24, 2014, 07:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I still say you guys should petition for statehood if Quebec ever leaves kicks the rest of Canada out.
Most of it would become US National Park Service jurisdiction anyway.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 25, 2014, 12:09:50 PM
I still say you guys should petition for statehood if Quebec ever leaves kicks the rest of Canada out.

Why the hell would we want to do that?  By most measurements, Canada's the preferable country.

You guys should consider applying to enter Confederation.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 12:32:15 PM

Why the hell would we want to do that?  By most measurements, Canada's the preferable country.

Canada is hardly ready to be the big dog.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2014, 12:35:59 PM

Except that if the 50 states entered Confederation, it would really be a reverse-takeover.

Sure, you'd now by flying the maple leaf and getting government paid for health care and no longer be running huge deficits, but it would still be the 300 million voters south of the 49th that would be calling the shots - in fact it seems likely the Liberal/Democratic party would be winning majorities instead of the Conservative/Republican party.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 12:39:27 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 25, 2014, 12:35:59 PM

Except that if the 50 states entered Confederation, it would really be a reverse-takeover.

Sure, you'd now by flying the maple leaf and getting government paid for health care and no longer be running huge deficits, but it would still be the 300 million voters south of the 49th that would be calling the shots - in fact it seems likely the Liberal/Democratic party would be winning majorities instead of the Conservative/Republican party.

Fair though would moving over suddenly liquidate our debt?

I'm not sure why that last bit is a positive. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

By most measurements, Canada's the preferable country.

:hmm: I don't agree, and by most measurements I assume you are excluding those made with a thermometer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on August 25, 2014, 12:57:05 PM
By most measurements, Canada's the preferable country.

:hmm: I don't agree, and by most measurements I assume you are excluding those made with a thermometer.

Not for BB's kind*

*lawyers
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

They'd probably reject us.  And several states would probably want to secede again.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 25, 2014, 01:36:02 PM

They'd probably reject us.  And several states would probably want to secede again.

We will take the northern states* and let the South have its Lettowish Confederacy. On Earth, not in space.  ;)

*Except the South also gets Detroit, in violation of geography. Just because.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

You'd have to forget about singing God Save the Queen while raising the flag every morning.  I'm not sure Canadians are ready for that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2014, 04:24:39 PM
You'd have to forget about singing God Save the Queen while raising the flag every morning.  I'm not sure Canadians are ready for that.

Who the hell does that anymore?  Or ever? :unsure:

I remember as a kid singing God Save the Queen at the end of assemblies, but even in 80s Saskatoon that was fairly old-fashioned and out of date...

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on August 25, 2014, 11:36:42 AM
Now the "Saskatchewan might have left too" is a complete red herring.  Saskatchewan did a report saying "everything's on the table" - big deal.  They never identified that as being preferable or likely.

What's more interesting is buried in the story - that Parizeau was going to barrel through to a quick UDI (though I think we knew that), and that Dumont and Bouchard were in disagreement with that.  Also interesting was Chretien's talk of forming a "national unity government", though inviting a fellow Liberal premier into cabinet doesn't sound like very much "national unity".

To the Chretien government Canada == The Liberal Party

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on August 25, 2014, 04:24:39 PM
Man, you guys have weird propaganda :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 24, 2014, 08:35:25 PM
If it had been that a separating Quebec would have cut off Saskatchewan, I could understand such a move...but in ourgeographic reality, it just seems silly.  Canada would have got on just fine with an independent Quebec.

They'd have to build a really big fence to keep poverty stricken citizens of New Haiti from over running the border.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017