And we're back!

Main Menu

Has your neighborhood become "upscale"?

Started by Syt, August 20, 2014, 07:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2014, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2014, 02:18:45 PM
I can't wrap my head around residential neighborhoods that also have commercial businesses in them.  Crazy!  :wacko:

Mixed use neighbourhoods have been all the rage in these places called "cities" for several millenia now. Crazy stuff, I know.

Evidently, Alberta hasn't reached that stage in social evolution yet.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I can't wrap my head around residential neighborhoods that also have commercial businesses in them.  Crazy!  :wacko:

Mixed use neighbourhoods have been all the rage in these places called "cities" for several millenia now. Crazy stuff, I know.

You have to remember that BB considers Whitehorse to be a major urban area.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2014, 02:25:49 PM

You have to remember that BB considers Whitehorse to be a major urban area.

Actually Whitehorse is quite a progressive city and it's neighborhoods had a good mix of residential and commercial property.

It was more a comment on my mid-90s subdivision in Edmonton. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

I think my neighborhood here in Florida gets negative points for having a murder house and a former drug house.   ;)

Even "Downtown" Melbourne would only score about 45 on the list (though admittedly there's no need to fly fish in from the east coast; you can walk there.)

My neighborhood in Michigan would be about 70.  Ferndale is one of the blue collar inner suburbs that decayed as badly as the city in the 1970s.  It rebounded in the 1990s when gay people moved there.  It's hip by Detroit standards; but even by the standards of 1980s San Francisco it still hasn't gentrified.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on August 20, 2014, 02:43:02 PM
I think my neighborhood here in Florida gets negative points for having a murder house and a former drug house.   ;)

Detroit just follows you wherever you go.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Is it following him, or does he bring it along?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 20, 2014, 08:43:57 AM
Argentine "parmesan" ?  :lol: That's upscale for those who call any sparkling wine champagne I guess.
That was the first thing I noticed too :lol:

Yes. And ever more so <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Liep on August 20, 2014, 01:53:35 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2014, 01:50:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 20, 2014, 01:13:17 PM
94, or there abouts. But I feel I should get extra points for having 3 cycle repair shops and 8 coffee shops within a 100 radius.

Oh and 4-5 shared offices with either skateboards or motorcycles mounted on the walls. :bleeding:

Where do you live?

I stayed there last year - near those lakes and the little planetrium (is that still Vesterbro?). Nice area - much preferred it and Frederiksberg to the Tivoli area.

Vesterbro. And 4 cycle shops, I forgot the one in the basement with the atrocious red/yellow fixie outside.

KRonn

My neighborhood isn't upscale, maybe the town center is a little bit, but not much relative to other MA towns. The town also has a larger business base which adds to the tax base, keeping home property taxes down which is nice for me. The town seems very well run though, having its own electric dept which is great for fast response during storm outages, etc. Most areas of the town seem to be well kept up by residents. The more upscale towns are expensive to buy into, and have high taxes as they have little or no industry, not even much in the way of shopping or stores, which is probably part of their appeal. Some areas of Boston have been getting more upscale, or gentrified, for many years. South Boston is going through that process, probably slowly but it's been happening for years now in Southie.

Liep

Quote from: Gups on August 21, 2014, 02:38:11 AM
I stayed there last year - near those lakes and the little planetrium (is that still Vesterbro?). Nice area - much preferred it and Frederiksberg to the Tivoli area.

I think it is, but that's right where the line is between Frederiksberg and Vesterbro. Technically Tivoli is also Vesterbro, but that area with the city hall included is completely different from the rest.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

LaCroix

a nearby cul-de-sac has some fancy looking homes.  :)

but, my apartment neighbors are all white trash.  :(

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2014, 03:01:34 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 20, 2014, 02:43:02 PM

Detroit just follows you wherever you go.

I keeps it real; just like Kwame. :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 20, 2014, 03:09:30 PM
Is it following him, or does he bring it along?  :hmm:

I'm pretty sure Florida had crime before I got here.  Someone was keeping Crockett and Tubbs busy.

CountDeMoney

Lol, Florida is its own special slice of bullshit.

mongers

My town now has a particularly stupid type of hipster shop, it was so much trivia, I can't describe what it sells.   <_<

For a couple of years we've had an Aga shop and recently we've acquired one of those fake Waterstones bookshops, which has so few books for sale it's actually a coffee shop.

Truely we're turning into a little London in the countryside/forest.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"