News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Has your neighborhood become "upscale"?

Started by Syt, August 20, 2014, 07:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Like BB, I live in a suburban fortress. It scored 20 points.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

What, the crew at the local McDonald's knowing you by your first name gets no points?  What a shitty test.

Grinning_Colossus

15 points for a Mexican bakery.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Jacob

We're pretty upscale by those standards, though no one would advertise flying in sea food from the East Coast.

No exotic birds or video rental places. Unsurprisingly we don't have an aerobics place either, but it's not '85 any more; we've got enough yoga places though.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2014, 01:06:30 PM
No video rental places.

I'm sure you do, they're just much smaller now.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

94, or there abouts. But I feel I should get extra points for having 3 cycle repair shops and 8 coffee shops within a 100 radius.

Oh and 4-5 shared offices with either skateboards or motorcycles mounted on the walls. :bleeding:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I end up at around 160. But most bakeries offer what's listed there, and most hairdressers here are unisex (only Muslim/Turkish ones are usually male or female only).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on August 20, 2014, 07:50:10 AM
http://www.citylab.com/housing/2014/08/take-a-san-francisco-gentrification-quiz-from-1985/376126/

... by 1985 San Francisco standards?

0 :)
I have to go in town, technically another city, to get some of this stuff.  Of course, the names are in french, but it ain't a foreign language here :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 20, 2014, 01:13:00 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2014, 01:06:30 PM
No video rental places.

I'm sure you do, they're just much smaller now.  ;)

Not in my immediate neighbourhood. There are a few that are still hanging on, however.

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on August 20, 2014, 01:13:17 PM
94, or there abouts. But I feel I should get extra points for having 3 cycle repair shops and 8 coffee shops within a 100 radius.

Oh and 4-5 shared offices with either skateboards or motorcycles mounted on the walls. :bleeding:

Where do you live?

Liep

Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2014, 01:50:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 20, 2014, 01:13:17 PM

Where do you live?

Vesterbro. And 4 cycle shops, I forgot the one in the basement with the atrocious red/yellow fixie outside.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on August 20, 2014, 01:53:35 PM
Vesterbro. And 4 cycle shops, I forgot the one in the basement with the atrocious red/yellow fixie outside.

Though, that said given how much bikes are used in Copenhagen, bike shops seem much less upscale than the ones popping up in North American.

Malthus

My neigbourhood actually has a video rental place, though they mostly sell cellphones now. Must be the last one in the city.  :lol:

One thing missing on that list: a fresh fruit and vegitable store that has a walk-in cooler just for fresh-cut flowers. My neighbourhood has three of these!  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

I can't wrap my head around residential neighborhoods that also have commercial businesses in them.  Crazy!  :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2014, 02:18:45 PM
I can't wrap my head around residential neighborhoods that also have commercial businesses in them.  Crazy!  :wacko:

Mixed use neighbourhoods have been all the rage in these places called "cities" for several millenia now. Crazy stuff, I know.