The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Just sayin' that's one hell of a name.  But what do you want me to say?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2016, 12:16:26 PM
Just sayin' that's one hell of a name.  But what do you want me to say?

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2016, 04:56:35 PM
Tear out your hair and rend your garments.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

There is stupid and amusing, then just stupid, then stupid and tedious, and at the end there is Martinus level of posting.  It seems like you're transitioning to the last level.

derspiess

I mean, it's perfect for when you want to name your kid both "Phil" and "Lando".  And if you're Philando and your woman catches you cheating, you just say "Hey baby, my name's Philando-- what do you expect??"  Genius.

Habbaku

:wacko:  You are achieving Martinus levels of stupid.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

Valmy

I think at some point Spicey just decided he was tired trying to reason with us and just went to fucking with us :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2016, 11:03:37 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2016, 08:43:58 AM
Why is the modern cop so scared?

Because it's been drilled into their heads every day that their most important duty, that which is above all else, is to "go home alive at the end of the day."  Not to bear faith and allegiance. Not to faithfully enforce the law. Not to betray one's profession, integrity, character or the public trust.  Not to hold oneself accountable. 

Roll call is about none of this. It's all about going home alive at the end of the day. It's us versus them. It's a war out there.

From a far-back observer's perspective I've felt this for a long time. Do you really think this is the case? And/or do you think it's a problem and we should go back to cops being a little more understanding that they get the guns and the toys and the car but they also accept greater responsibility and less physical safety than Average Joe?

11B4V

It is the case IMO.

"Go home alive at the end of the day"
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2016, 12:33:19 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 07, 2016, 12:31:24 PM
:wacko:  You are achieving Martinus levels of stupid.

How so?

An innocent man was shot in front of his wife and daughter and your response is to make fun of his name. Sure, you're doing it in an understated "I'm just sayin'..." kind of way, but you're still mocking the victim of a tragedy.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2016, 12:50:37 PM
An innocent man was shot in front of his wife and daughter and your response is to make fun of his name. Sure, you're doing it in an understated "I'm just sayin'..." kind of way, but you're still mocking the victim of a tragedy.

I'm going to wait until I have the full story before I form an opinion.  Sure, it's shitty that this dude was shot in front of his daughter and girlfriend.  On that I'll agree with you guys.  But do we have anything at this point other than video she took with her phone after the shooting took place?  Or are we trusting her narrative 100%?

Quotebut you're still mocking the victim of a tragedy.

Not really.  Just had never heard the name before.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2016, 12:55:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 07, 2016, 12:50:37 PM

I'm going to wait until I have the full story before I form an opinion.  Sure, it's shitty that this dude was shot in front of his daughter and girlfriend.  On that I'll agree with you guys.  But do we have anything at this point other than video she took with her phone after the shooting took place?  Or are we trusting her narrative 100%?

I'm sure the officers will be cleared in due time.

Quotebut you're still mocking the victim of a tragedy.

Not really.  Just had never heard the name before.

Right.

OttoVonBismarck

Exchanges like that make Languish worth the price of admission.  :hug: