The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on June 10, 2016, 01:09:07 PM
Full dash-cam video of the Runnels story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/timothy-runnels-bryce-masters-taser_us_57571f6de4b07823f95188c9

The officer was fired and given 4 years in federal prison.
nearly kill a white kid: no problem.
Talk of niggers: resign or be fired.
That is strange.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 07, 2016, 09:27:24 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 07, 2016, 08:43:58 AM
Why is the modern cop so scared?

In America?

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,6262.0.html

;)

Isn't it whites who are most likely to own a gun though? Doesn't really explain why they are so afraid of black people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on July 07, 2016, 09:30:07 AM

In America?

;)

Isn't it whites who are most likely to own a gun though? Doesn't really explain why they are so afraid of black people.

According to the article posted above, of the Black folks shot by cops so far in 2016, 61% were armed with a gun (10% were unarmed - it doesn't say what the other 29% had).

QuoteHe is one of 123 black Americans shot and killed by police so far in 2016, according to the database. About 10 percent of the black Americans shot and killed were unarmed at the time of the shooting, while about 61 percent were armed with a gun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/07/minn-cop-fatally-shoots-man-during-traffic-stop-aftermath-broadcast-on-facebook/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_mm-minnesota-140am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

They say 506 people were shot by cops in 2016, of whom 123 were Black - so 24%. Blacks are approximately 12.6% of the US population, so they are being shot in double the numbers that would be expected if it were strictly proportional.

My guess is, if one wants to know why so many Blacks are shot by the cops in America, it is a combination of factors:

1. History of racism and racial animosity, leading cops to act more aggressively towards Blacks (and leading Blacks to be more angry and fearful of cops);

2. Widespread ownership of guns and potential for gun violence, making cops more twitchy;

3. Historical poverty of the Black community compared with the non-Black community (poor people are more likely to have negative interactions with police regardless of race).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I like how it is implied everything would be cool if blacks were only shot by cops in proportionate numbers. Just need to shoot other ethnicities more and it will be fine.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 07, 2016, 09:51:10 AM
I like how it is implied everything would be cool if blacks were only shot by cops in proportionate numbers. Just need to shoot other ethnicities more and it will be fine.

:D

This is part of my point. America has a race problem, a guns problem, and a cops shooting people problem; but all three are related.

Berkut

Quote from: Malthus on July 07, 2016, 09:47:16 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 07, 2016, 09:30:07 AM

In America?

;)

According to the article posted above, of the Black folks shot by cops so far in 2016, 61% were armed with a gun (10% were unarmed - it doesn't say what the other 29% had).

QuoteHe is one of 123 black Americans shot and killed by police so far in 2016, according to the database. About 10 percent of the black Americans shot and killed were unarmed at the time of the shooting, while about 61 percent were armed with a gun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/07/07/minn-cop-fatally-shoots-man-during-traffic-stop-aftermath-broadcast-on-facebook/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_mm-minnesota-140am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

They say 506 people were shot by cops in 2016, of whom 123 were Black - so 24%. Blacks are approximately 12.6% of the US population, so they are being shot in double the numbers that would be expected if it were strictly proportional.

My guess is, if one wants to know why so many Blacks are shot by the cops in America, it is a combination of factors:

1. History of racism and racial animosity, leading cops to act more aggressively towards Blacks (and leading Blacks to be more angry and fearful of cops);

2. Widespread ownership of guns and potential for gun violence, making cops more twitchy;

3. Historical poverty of the Black community compared with the non-Black community (poor people are more likely to have negative interactions with police regardless of race).

Not to be a dick, but come on.

While the issues with racism and over-targeting of black people are very, very real, the #1 reason blacks are shot more often by cops is that black people are more often involved in crimes that get people shot by cops.

There are demographic reasons for this of course that desperately need to be addressed, but the primary driver in black people being shot by cops is black people being involved in crime disproportionately to their numbers.

That of course creates a vicious feedback loop where cops are even more prone to make wrong assumptions, resulting in more blacks being unjustly shot by police.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on July 07, 2016, 10:51:34 AM
Not to be a dick, but come on.

While the issues with racism and over-targeting of black people are very, very real, the #1 reason blacks are shot more often by cops is that black people are more often involved in crimes that get people shot by cops.

There are demographic reasons for this of course that desperately need to be addressed, but the primary driver in black people being shot by cops is black people being involved in crime disproportionately to their numbers.

That of course creates a vicious feedback loop where cops are even more prone to make wrong assumptions, resulting in more blacks being unjustly shot by police.

That would be what I had labeled as #3.

I didn't put them in any particular order. If you want to argue that's the most significant factor, you can make your case.

To me, the very existence of the gun issue in the US leads to more people being shot by cops, period; it naturally makes cops more trigger-happy than they would otherwise be. This is a natural and reasonable reaction: if someone is threatening and belligerent without a gun, the cops have a lot of ways to deal with them; with a gun, and they are risking their own lives if they don't shoot first. 

You could have exactly the same crime, poverty and race dynamic, remove the prevalence of guns, and you would see dramatically fewer police shootings.

That's why I say it's a combination of factors. You shouldn't point to historic racism alone, or guns alone, or Black poverty alone; you have to look to all three.

CountDeMoney

Because it's been drilled into their heads every day that their most important duty, that which is above all else, is to "go home alive at the end of the day."  Not to bear faith and allegiance. Not to faithfully enforce the law. Not to betray one's profession, integrity, character or the public trust.  Not to hold oneself accountable. 

Roll call is about none of this. It's all about going home alive at the end of the day. It's us versus them. It's a war out there.