Started by Hamilcar, June 28, 2016, 04:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

The religion of peace strikes again.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 29, 2016, 01:50:26 AM
The attacks on Istanbul are becoming a regular event  :(
It's desperately sad :(

Visited for the first time in January and absolutely loved it, it's really wonderful city :(
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2016, 01:46:44 PM
This seems like a really big story--in part because it isn't generating the impact of one. It is a real highlight of how Turkey is slipping away in the western consciousness.

Dunno, coverage over here is being pretty big. Not much difference with the Orlando shooting.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on June 29, 2016, 01:52:48 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2016, 07:05:39 AM
PKK has already denied carrying out the attack (for what that's worth). PKK usually tries to strike at the state-apparatus directly (military/police targets)(for what that's worth, again).

I don't think PKK uses suicide attacks.

They have before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 29, 2016, 04:47:42 AM
as bad is it is (and it is bad), it's part of the price Turkey has to pay for at minimum tolerating IS for years (by letting IS-recruits cross the border to-and-fro unhindered, healing them in their hospitals, etc) and at worst actively helping them (Erdogan's weapons convoy, Erdogan's family buying their oil...).
Erdogan wants to play with 'that' religion, these are the results.

So I guess we aren't all Turks, now. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

KRonn

Terrible attack. This story is getting a lot of coverage here.

Razgovory

So, are people going to put up Turkish flag overlays on their facebook photos?

Josquius

I thought a Turkish friend of mine was at the airport that day. Turns out I misremembered and he had flown the day before. Relief.

I remember back at Easter time when I visited Istanbul.
I found it very bizarre that you had this big security area just for entering the airport.
Now I understand.

Sucks to be the taxi driver who drove them there. I'd be really interested to know his POV on all this. Intruiging though sad.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2016, 01:54:56 PM

OH MY GOD I AM SUCH A HYPOCRITICAL ASSHOLE FOR...oh wait no I never put any overlays on facebook ever. So no I guess not.

I am going to listen to what my Turkish friends have to say about it and commiserate tonight. Is there something else I should be doing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Kind of cool the US issued a travel advisory the day before the attack.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 02:18:02 PM

OH MY GOD I AM SUCH A HYPOCRITICAL ASSHOLE FOR...oh wait no I never put any overlays on facebook ever. So no I guess not.

I am going to listen to what my Turkish friends have to say about it and commiserate tonight. Is there something else I should be doing?

Tear out your hair and rend your garments.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2016, 04:56:35 PM
Tear out your hair and rend your garments.

Well I wailed on the inside.

Anyway even for the standards of Turkey these days everybody was pretty shocked by the sheer brutality of this particular attack. Meanwhile Erdogan is really cracking down on the Turkish expats over here. He even has hired Texas attorneys to sue them to shut down their charter school system they have set up. They have all pretty much been pushed out of Turkey now. It was fortunate my parents were able to visit when they did.

The pettyness and paranoia of Erdogan is really amazing. Or maybe not so amazing for anybody in a country ruled by a Putin-wannabe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 02:18:02 PM

I didn't specify you.  Just wondered if the people go on about "Radical Islam" would be comfortable putting a Muslim crescent up.  French attacks:  Evil Muslim and those poor people!  Orlando attacks: Evil Muslims and well,...  Istanbul attacks:  Meh, Turkey kinda deserved it.

CountDeMoney

I was watching Peter King (R-NY) from the Homeland Security Committee on one of the talking head shows about Istanbul--first thing he said about improving airport security was that we need to invest in more license plate readers. 
Except the Istanbul guys took taxis to the airport.

I wonder how many steak dinners it cost the plate recognition companies for that statement.

celedhring

Even if they used their own cars, I fail to see how plate readers would help combat terror attacks. Do Isis use personalized plates?  :huh: