Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: Tyr on February 25, 2022, 05:42:17 AM
Quote from: Threviel on February 25, 2022, 05:36:02 AM
Reports of Russian columns destroyed by Turkish built UAVs.
Great. Hope this is true, that did seem to be the key thing Ukraine needed (as well as AA)

And a very nice "fuck you" from Erdogan to Putin.

Wikipedia reports that Turkey has sold 18 UAVs to Ukraine, but also that Ukraine has bought licenses to produce their own, so let's hope they have that factory up and running.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2022, 04:52:01 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 04:43:26 AM
It would be better to find a title that makes it clear it is Russia's sole responsibility. I don't think you'd be happy to call WW2 the "Germany-Britain Conflict"

I can't think of any war who's name specifies the aggressor.

Except that some Southerners refer to the US Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression."

In the north and the postwar era (with some official status) the war was called "the war of the rebellion", which implies aggression on one side (as does any conflict entitled "rebellion").
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

From Guardian:

QuoteIndia is exploring ways to set up a rupee payment mechanism for trade with Russia to soften the blow on New Delhi of Western sanctions imposed on Russia.

Reuters reports that government and banking sources said Indian officials are concerned that vital supplies of fertilizer from Russia could be disrupted as sanctions intensify, threatening India's vast farm sector.

India has called for an end to violence in Ukraine but refrained from outright condemnation of Russia, with which it has long-standing political and security ties.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

QuoteThere are several lines from the Kremlin coming in on Reuters:

Putin will meet the UN Security Council today and hold several international phone calls
Russia will impose retaliatory sanctions on western countries
Russia recognises Volodymyr Zelenskiy as president of Ukraine
Sanctions will cause problems but are solvable since the country has reduced its dependence on foreign imports
Russia expects relations with the west to normalise once people understand it was forced to act to protect its security
No comment on the duration of the military operations
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on February 25, 2022, 06:02:08 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2022, 04:52:01 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 04:43:26 AM
It would be better to find a title that makes it clear it is Russia's sole responsibility. I don't think you'd be happy to call WW2 the "Germany-Britain Conflict"

I can't think of any war who's name specifies the aggressor.

Except that some Southerners refer to the US Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression."

In the north and the postwar era (with some official status) the war was called "the war of the rebellion", which implies aggression on one side (as does any conflict entitled "rebellion").

The Peninsula War is known in Catalan as "War of the French" (Guerra del Francès).

Josquius

I've been wondering exactly what the trigger what that made this happen now of all times.
Reading up about the drone stuff the timing does make me wonder.
https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2022/02/04/turkey-and-ukraine-to-coproduce-tb2-drones/
██████
██████
██████

Agelastus

Are the buses still running in Kiev? There is footage on the BBC's feed of military vehicles coming from one direction with what appears to be a bus waiting at the junction for them to pass.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Threviel

Back in '39 Sweden sent exactly everything we could spare to Finland when the Soviets invaded. I've seen no such news today from Sweden, but it seems that is what is happening in the UK and France. Let's hope the US chips in, it's very nice to see that not all western nations are so spineless and weak as the krauts.

The Ukrainians seem defiant, they might retreat to a line between Pripyat and Moldavia and slowly fall back on Lviv, combined with guerilla in the rest of the country. This could take months if they don't surrender and any materiel that can be spared could be very useful

Tamas

Apparently the German government spokeperson avoided the subject of granting asylum to Ukraine's president if he was seeking it, saying that's something to address when it becomes an issue.

WTF Germany.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 06:37:46 AM
Apparently the German government spokeperson avoided the subject of granting asylum to Ukraine's president if he was seeking it, saying that's something to address when it becomes an issue.

WTF Germany.

Haven't seen the clip, but I think you don't want to be seen as publicly inviting Zelensky to leave.

Threviel

That Zelensky dude is really rising to the occasion. I mean, he was some kind of TV comedian winning the election because he made a great TV president and now he's just a great president in the most difficult of times.

Tamas

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2022, 06:37:46 AM

WTF Germany.
"Can you comment on this hypothetical thing?" "Let's see when it actually happens."

We gave Navalny asylum after all.

mongers

At the top of the BBC Live Ukraine page is a photo of Ukrainian troops lying down on a raised road/approach to a bridge, it is so reminiscent of the film and photo of the last few South Vietnamese paratroopers/marines preparing hasty defences on the main bridge into the centre of Saigon in 75. :(

Page here as I can't directly link to the image:
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60517447

28 Apr 1975, Saigon, South Vietnam --- A government soldier helps his wounded buddy on the Newport Bridge during fighting with Communist insurgents. --- Image by © Bettmann/CORBIS
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

I absolutely have no idea which side is shooting and which one is getting destroyed, but still cool and surreal to have an air-to-air kill recorded on some random civilian's phone:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1497173408135659524