Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

They must have denied his request for a raise this year.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

QuoteRussian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says that Russia will always be ready for dialogue despite Russian forces launching a major military assault on Ukraine.

"Unfortunately, our Western friends do not respect international law, trying to destroy it and promote what they call 'rules-based order,'" Lavrov says, state-owned news agency RIA Novosti reports.

"We had intensive and detailed discussions with our American colleagues, with other Nato members," he says.

We hope that there is still a chance to return to international law and international obligations."

Lavrov says that Russia will "always be ready for a dialogue that will return us to justice and the principles of the UN charter".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Battle of Chernobyl confirmed to be ongoing.

I guess it is a pretty good spot to defend - urban terrain without civilian population to worry about.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 09:52:11 AM
Gerhard Schröder has called for a quick end of the war, and that it was Russia's responsibility end it. He says there's been "many mistakes on both sides" in recent years, but that Russian security concerns don't justify the use of military means.
Has he resigned his position?

Renzi and a former Finnish PM have apparently resigned their role as directors on certain Russian boards. I don't think they'll be the last.

Seem like credible reports (though who knows in this situation and handle with care) of a Ukrainian counter-attack on that airport near Kyiv. Ukrainian army say there's a battle underway for it now.

Related to AKK's comments - apparently this (DeepL translated and via Tom Nuttall, the Economist's Berlin bureau chief) is from a LinkedIn post today by the head of the German army which seems a pretty extraordinary comment:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

That's an accurate translation of his words, yes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

AKK's party was in power for sixteen years until two months ago, so she must ask herself why she was not able to convince her party or society at large regarding her views.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on February 24, 2022, 10:30:39 AM
AKK's party was in power for sixteen years until two months ago, so she must ask herself why she was not able to convince her party or society at large regarding her views.

Of course. It's generally a trait in the CDU to complain that the new government has not yet fixed the problems that weren't tackled through those years.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Yeah - it feels like if George Osborne came out now and said that apparently there's Russian money in the City and that may be an issue <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 10:32:18 AM

Of course. It's generally a trait in the CDU to complain that the new government has not yet fixed the problems that weren't tackled through those years.

Well, to be fair, its the go to move for all parties who have lost the reigns of power.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Bravo to the Poles for this - at Poland's request they're taking the Ukrainian ambassador/head of mission to the EU to the Coreper meeting on sanctions. In part just a show of solildarity which is good, but also making the representatives who are going to be dove-ish on sanctions to look at the ambassador of Ukraine while they're explaining their position.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould