Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on February 24, 2022, 08:20:26 AM
From the same account.

UPDATE: EU diplomats tell me carveout demands (incl those above) evaporated. Broad agreement on sanctions today. BUT: new cleavage is Putin himself. Some want him excluded for now to keep channel to Kremlin open. Others say he should be sanctioned ASAP

Good on the carveouts going but wtf on the keeping channels open. Channel to do what? /do personal sanctions close whatever this channel is?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Former chancellor Wolfgang Schüssel ("best" remembered for his coalition fwith Jörg Haider in early 2000s, leading his country into temporary isolation), has said he will retain his position on the board of Russian oil coporation Lukoil. Because it's not state owned, traded at the London stock exchange etc. So totally legit and not morally corrupt at all.

Btw, saw an article the other day that apparently the German intelligence services warned already in 1999 that Gerhard Schröder was targeted by Russia to be groomed as an asset. Schröder was in office till 2005. Seems a bit weird since Schröder's red/green government participated in the Kosovo military action.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Current chancellor Nehammer mntioned of his phone call with Zelenskiy where he was informed about the military actions taken place. His Ukrainian colleague opened with the words that he was calling "from a country not knowing how long it would yet exist, and as president without knowing how long he would have to live." :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 08:12:21 AM
Saw a comment that Russia waited till daylight to commence major ground operations since apparently their sensor and night vision capabilities are still shit? They had 40 years now to catch up on those .... :unsure:

How? They have no semiconductor producing capabilities and both we and China refuse to sell them any IR sensors.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 08:31:48 AM
Current chancellor Nehammer mntioned of his phone call with Zelenskiy where he was informed about the military actions taken place. His Ukrainian colleague opened with the words that he was calling "from a country not knowing how long it would yet exist, and as president without knowing how long he would have to live." :(

:(

Tamas

On Hungary: I think the quiet neutrality speaks volumes. Putin had to do this terrible thing to stop Orban and co. publicly taking his side. It is also about the upcoming elections, yes. The majority of the population is definitely anti-Russia when it comes to their foreign policy but the pro-Russia retards are pretty much all pro-Orban as well. So silence is golden. In the background I expect Hungary remains the key battleground of spies as it's probably one of if not the easiest NATO country to get intel out of for Russians.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Josephus on February 24, 2022, 08:05:59 AM
Now CNN anchoress says "this morning Russia declared war on Ukraine."

Slight hyperbole.
How is that hyperbole?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 07:37:27 AM
Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, former German defense minister and previously designated successor of Merkel says the West is at fault - because the lessons of history (citing Kohl, Schmidt) were forgotten, that while diplomacy and negotiations must always be the main focus, it needs to be backed up with enough military power to make negotiations the only reasonable option.

I can get onboard with this thinking.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

Opportunist leaders around the world are taking notes. This aggression must fail spectacularly otherwise more hotspots will flare up.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on February 24, 2022, 08:51:00 AM
Opportunist leaders around the world are taking notes. This aggression must fail spectacularly otherwise more hotspots will flare up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TrueWordsRSpoke/status/1496833047265624065
QuotePakistan 🇵🇰 is eager and willing to show it's new found strength and weapons to the western world and especially to India 🇮🇳

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 08:31:48 AM

This is devastating. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

I have received an official email from the government of Hungary re. the situation

Quote"We stand by Ukraine and its territory and sovereignty but war is not the answer.

We refuse and oppose the opposition's intentions* of sending Hungarian troops and weapons to Ukraine, and we are against any actions which could jeopardise our gas supply and the utility prices"

Bolding is mine.

*: apparently the opposition's PM candidate said something a few days ago that if the UN would send peacekeepers then Hungary should offer troops, which has become a useful soundbite for the government to claim he wants to go to war with Russia.

Grey Fox

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1496849053824471041?s=20&t=gZns0OuHpsRLNMNUmFdj-w

CNN reporter with Russian airborne troops currently taking a Kiev Airport.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 24, 2022, 09:25:30 AM
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1496849053824471041?s=20&t=gZns0OuHpsRLNMNUmFdj-w

CNN reporter with Russian airborne troops currently taking a the Kiev Airport.

That's not Kiev's airport, that's the one in Hostomel, a Kiev suburb, and is a cargo airport only.

Syt

Gerhard Schröder has called for a quick end of the war, and that it was Russia's responsibility end it. He says there's been "many mistakes on both sides" in recent years, but that Russian security concerns don't justify the use of military means.
—Stephen Jay Gould