Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

My Friendly Local Flag Store was out of Ukrainian flags (predictably), but they will get a shipment tomorrow. I ordered some.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 02:32:06 AM
FPÖ's chairman Kickl has been notably quiet during the crisis. He didn't outright reject sanctions (unlike German AfD), only said that they would also hurt the ones issuing them. In 2016, FPÖ party leadership flew to Moscow to sign a friendship treaty with Putin's party. Kickl let the agreement expire. I think Kickl is odious, and and further right and extreme than Strache or Hofer were, but he doesn't seem particularly in love with Putin, it seems.

... and now he's said in the special session of parliament that Austria's neutrality requires listening to both sides of the conflict and that any sanctions against Russia would be a gross violation of international law.  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Also, NATO activates defense plans to move assets to the eastern border.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on February 24, 2022, 06:10:17 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 24, 2022, 06:08:22 AM
Did Russia succeed in taking Kiev's airport?

I think it ended up being "just" bombing by missiles, there were no troops involved.

Thank you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2022, 06:36:08 AM
My Friendly Local Flag Store was out of Ukrainian flags (predictably), but they will get a shipment tomorrow. I ordered some.

Chateau Cerveau has multiple flag poles?

The Brain

Quote from: Maladict on February 24, 2022, 06:55:38 AM
Quote from: The Brain on February 24, 2022, 06:36:08 AM

Chateau Cerveau has multiple flag poles?

There are... ideas.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 24, 2022, 06:54:24 AM
Air assault in progress. Aim is Antonov International Airport?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1496803235692269569

ALso here:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496809143738507264

QuoteChristopher Miller
@ChristopherJM

Confirmed by Ukrainian authorities. A large air assault operation with Mi-8 helicopters on Antonov International Airport in Hostomel. Interior Ministry says Russia has seized control. Very dangerous; it's just 15 minutes west of the capital ring road.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Not getting much work done, and for once it's not my ADHD
—Stephen Jay Gould

Threviel

Oughtn't the Ukrainians have had ample time to put lots of light AA around every major airport? One would have thought that would be one of the first thing happening and they've had weeks to prepare.

Seems like the Ukrainian defence preparations are a shamble.

Syt

Lithuania declares state of emergency and strengthens defenses. And apparently the airspace over Moldova has been closed.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on February 24, 2022, 07:01:19 AM
Oughtn't the Ukrainians have had ample time to put lots of light AA around every major airport? One would have thought that would be one of the first thing happening and they've had weeks to prepare.

Seems like the Ukrainian defence preparations are a shamble.

Wasn't there mention in this thread that their AA capabilities were not very good?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on February 24, 2022, 06:57:42 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 24, 2022, 06:54:24 AM
Air assault in progress. Aim is Antonov International Airport?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1496803235692269569

ALso here:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1496809143738507264

QuoteChristopher Miller
@ChristopherJM

Confirmed by Ukrainian authorities. A large air assault operation with Mi-8 helicopters on Antonov International Airport in Hostomel. Interior Ministry says Russia has seized control. Very dangerous; it's just 15 minutes west of the capital ring road.

So Ukraine is collapsing...
All I'd read before suggested Ukraine had enough light anti air missiles to make Russian helicopter use unwise.
██████
██████
██████