News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on August 19, 2022, 10:29:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 19, 2022, 10:16:38 AMI am having a hard time imagining an official settlement that changes Ukraine's borders.

That would have enormous implications and consequences for Europe and thus the world. Especially if the major countries would recognise those border changes.

That would make war to force changes to borders a valid, "legal" option to pursue, again. Bosnia, Kosovo, Moldavia, hell, Hungary and all its neighbours if some proper Nazi inherits from Orban, all would become fair game.

My impression is that there are a number of politicians in the West who are ready to grasp at fig leaves to make a de facto border adjustment possible while maintaining some convenient fiction. The West was very accepting of 2014. I certainly hope that the West sticks with Ukraine until final victory, but...

Yup, many accepted Crimea, which led directly to the current shit, feeding Putin's ambitions. Was a huge mistake at the time, hopefully enough see that now.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Well of Ukraine wasn't going to fight for Crimea there wasn't that much we could do directly. Would have been nice if we could have started switching off the Russian gas at that point though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

To counter Josephus pessimism, a constant of this thread. I expect a return to pre-2014 borders in favor of Ukraine. The US congress & its military suppliers will not let this once a century chance go on the way side.

US-led NATO has a real chance to handcuff Russia for 50 years & teach China a lesson. 
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2022, 07:36:16 PMTo counter Josephus pessimism, a constant of this thread. I expect a return to pre-2014 borders in favor of Ukraine. The US congress & its military suppliers will not let this once a century chance go on the way side.

US-led NATO has a real chance to handcuff Russia for 50 years & teach China a lesson.

No, but a Trump deal of the centuary will, well trump that.

Putin just needs to hold out till Jan 20something 2025.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Nah. Military contracts for red states is a pork staple of any bills. The US Army gets hundred(s) of new Abrams tanks it doesn't want every year. Even Trump 2nd mandate is not changing that. Putin gave the Generals somewhere to use all that equipment without putting Americans at risk.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2022, 07:36:16 PMTo counter Josephus pessimism, a constant of this thread. I expect a return to pre-2014 borders in favor of Ukraine. The US congress & its military suppliers will not let this once a century chance go on the way side.

God, I wish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2022, 08:01:34 PM

No, but a Trump deal of the centuary will, well trump that.

Putin just needs to hold out till Jan 20something 2025.

on the other hand: a Russia that is severely diminished for a generation and an -ideally- cowed China is advantageous for the US.
So it can fit in an America first/ maga narrative

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2022, 10:08:04 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 19, 2022, 08:39:52 AMThere will be a peace deal which will see Russia hanging on to some of the Donbass. It's the most likely outcome.

Why do you think Ukraine will cave? Do you reckon Western sponsors will pressure them into giving concessions to Putin?

Actually yes. I think the longer the war goes, the likelier that event. I see no scenario where Putin can be convinced to shrug his shoulders and go "my bad. We'll leave tomorrow."

Putin needs to be given a carrot, something he can take home with him and say, "this is why we did it."
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on August 20, 2022, 05:55:49 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2022, 10:08:04 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 19, 2022, 08:39:52 AMThere will be a peace deal which will see Russia hanging on to some of the Donbass. It's the most likely outcome.

Why do you think Ukraine will cave? Do you reckon Western sponsors will pressure them into giving concessions to Putin?

Actually yes. I think the longer the war goes, the likelier that event. I see no scenario where Putin can be convinced to shrug his shoulders and go "my bad. We'll leave tomorrow."

Putin needs to be given a carrot, something he can take home with him and say, "this is why we did it."

No what he needs to do is fail to the fullest extent possible. Starting a European war cannot be seen as a viable strategy one can survive politically.

I think time is squarely on Ukraine's side. In terms of military (and civilian) technology, Russia is effectively under blockade (not exactly vacuum-sealed but their access must be significantly below their needs, even discounting their superpower ambitions). Ukraine has free access to the developed world's military equipment, and free-ish access to trade.

And I think the status quo on the front and behind is easier for Ukraine to maintain. They are defending themselves from cultural and literal annihilation, and they don't need to keep the areas behind the frontline pacified.

Western attention and will to help may falter but it would be reignited if this triggered another Russian attempt at a knockout blow.

Plus, Russia's energy weapon is at its fullest potential right now and will only diminish as time goes on. The Schroeders and Orbans of the world might be content to stay reliant on Putin's whims but I am sure Germany and the rest have been working hard to reduce, even eliminate, their reliance on Russian gas and oil.

And while the oil embargo on Russia surely causes price pressures on oil, it's not like Russia's oil isn't finding is way to the global market, they just have to sell it on pressed-down prices to the countries still willing to deal with them. Oil prices are coming down and barring any escalation they will continue coming down which is bad for Russia and good for everyone else.

Sheilbh

I get that Putin needs something to back down/to preserve face. But so does Ukraine and I think people need to apply the same thinking to Ukraine. What's the carrot or face-saving measure for them?

They have fought above expectations of most in the West and certainly in Russia since February, they've suffered huge losses and seen civilians deported into Russia. But they are not only holding their own but starting to push back and to hit more secure Russian areas.

I can't see them being in any mood to accept a deal giving up any further territory. It seems far more likely to me that they'll push back on Russia's gains.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 20, 2022, 06:17:09 AMI get that Putin needs something to back down/to preserve face. But so does Ukraine and I think people need to apply the same thinking to Ukraine. What's the carrot or face-saving measure for them?

Yeah, personally I hope Ukraine gets enough material and financial support to completely oust the Russians from all of their territory. Make their loss total and humiliating. After this war we can treat them as a minor albeit troublesome regional power. Iran with nukes basically. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on August 20, 2022, 05:55:49 AMPutin needs to be given a carrot, something he can take home with him and say, "this is why we did it."

Beyond Ukraine not an official member of NATO, and a promise of an internationally monitored referendum in Crimea in 10-15 years time, there is nothing much that can be given.

alfred russel

Times suck for Russia but they suck a lot worse for Ukraine. The economy is collapsing way harder, huge population displacements, physical destruction of its infrastructure, much higher casualties when including the civilian population...if this drags on for a couple more years you are going to have Ukrainian children approaching 10 that have not been normally schooled when you extend this with the covid-19 shutdowns.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 20, 2022, 09:19:45 AMTimes suck for Russia but they suck a lot worse for Ukraine. The economy is collapsing way harder, huge population displacements, physical destruction of its infrastructure, much higher casualties when including the civilian population...if this drags on for a couple more years you are going to have Ukrainian children approaching 10 that have not been normally schooled when you extend this with the covid-19 shutdowns.

Is there a point here that I am just missing, or did you forget why you started rambling on about this?  I mean, yes, things are worse in countries where a war is being fought than an equivalent country where one is not, but so what?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on August 20, 2022, 09:19:45 AMTimes suck for Russia but they suck a lot worse for Ukraine. The economy is collapsing way harder, huge population displacements, physical destruction of its infrastructure, much higher casualties when including the civilian population...if this drags on for a couple more years you are going to have Ukrainian children approaching 10 that have not been normally schooled when you extend this with the covid-19 shutdowns.
Being invaded and having territories occupied is generally worse than invading - until it isn't (like Hemingway's rich family going bankrupt).

But often the political will and morale in a war for nation survival is very high - of all countries in the world, Russia should know this better than anyone. Nations and people will endure a lot for national liberation if they think it's plausible - and right now there's rusting Russian tanks on display on the main shopping street in Kyiv.

I don't see any sign of much willingness or desire for a settlement in Ukraine.

Of course the economy is screwed across Ukraine - but we shouldn't overstate the impact everywhere. There's all of Western Ukraine, even Kyiv is returning to a sort of normalcy, as, I think, is Odessa. There's a huge range of how impacted areas are by the war. That's a sort of situation that, I think, is probably more durable than we expect - the lines are more stable, there's going to be the odd bomb (like London after the blitz) but no realistic prospect of Russian forces taking Kyiv or launching an amphibious assault on Odessa.
Let's bomb Russia!