News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on July 04, 2022, 01:31:10 AMReports of a Ukrainian missile  strike on residential area of Belgorod.

If that's the one from yesterday, the Russians themselves said they shot it down and fell on a residential area, rather than it being the target.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: celedhring on July 04, 2022, 03:03:12 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 04, 2022, 01:31:10 AMReports of a Ukrainian missile  strike on residential area of Belgorod.

If that's the one from yesterday, the Russians themselves said they shot it down and fell on a residential area, rather than it being the target.

Though there seem to be images doing the rounds that the missiles were of  type that the Ukrainian army doesn't use. So it might still be Russians bombing their own civilians.

The Larch

On the topic of Russia, international diplomacy and massive tables, this one from the Caspian Summit deserves an award.

Edit: They also have round ones!

Tamas

:lol:

Men with small peckers are the bane of this world.

Crazy_Ivan80

Ideally we arrive at a point where the entire Russian military fits on that table

Legbiter

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2022, 01:27:23 AMSo what's that... close to 80 days to close a pocket the size of London, more or less, and less than half a percent of Ukrainian territory? Achieved by concentrating essentially all of the available might of the Russian Federation?

Yeah that's the Ukrainian strategy, grind Russian manpower down in urban battles and withdraw to the next fortified defensive line and repeat. These are WW I battles in terms of duration and casualties. At some point they can hopefully start a counterattack. This war is absolutely brutal but for the Ukrainians it's a war of national survival so they'll have to keep fighting.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2022, 07:18:39 AM:lol:

Men with small peckers are the bane of this world.

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself. :console:  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Satellite images show that Russia is moving troops from all over the country into Ukraine:

https://twitter.com/konrad_muzyka/status/1544453070356185089

Legbiter

Yeah for instance they've stripped their forces on the Finnish border to a little more than a skeleton crew to use in Ukraine. So...if the Finns want Karelia back now would be the time to nab it.  :ph34r:

Ukrainians are wrecking Russian ammo depot all across the Donbas with the new HIMARS systems. The bottleneck seems to be ammo for the launchers. They've also lost several M777 to counterbattery fire and their frontline troops complain bitterly about not having enough of, well, everything. If they're unable to train up and equip new formations to counterattack they can kiss Eastern Ukraine and their coastline goodbye. Western support is fickle and they don't have all the time in the world, especially when winter arrives. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR the other day from a retired Royal Marine colonel who heads a consulting group/contractor that Ukrainian losses are unsustainable.

He also said he has been conducting five day crash basic training for recruits on the way to the front.

Jacob

Pay the fuckers at Rheinmetall who are supplying the Russians through proxies a little bit more to supply the Ukrainians instead. And jail the executives and nationalize the company if they don't play ball. Come on Germany, you can do it.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 06, 2022, 09:02:59 PMHeard on NPR the other day from a retired Royal Marine colonel who heads a consulting group/contractor that Ukrainian losses are unsustainable.

He also said he has been conducting five day crash basic training for recruits on the way to the front.

Unsustainable. Interesting. What is the time table for unsustainability?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 06, 2022, 11:36:55 PMNot given.

I thought they had like 500,000 soldiers. I don't know what their reserves are but how severe are their casualties? It isn't like they are using human wave tactics or anything.

Ah well. I hope the Russian casualties are also unsustainable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."