News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on June 30, 2022, 11:41:56 AMhttps://mobile.twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1542468576917028864
QuoteRussia published its statistics on the economy for May.

Lets compare May 2022 with May 2021.

Cars: -96.7%
Trucks: -39.3%
ICE motors: -57%
Pass. train wagons: -59.8%
Fiberglass cables: -80.8%
Fridges: -58.1%
Washing machines: -59.2%
AC electric motors: -49.9%
Excavators: -60%

Western sanctions seem to bite.

Did they give the numbers on items they might be substituting production into, like artillery shells and body bags?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

I think one of the reasons for the popularity of Johnson, Duda, the Baltic leaders etc in Ukraine is in large part driven by grasping the importance of the symbolic and the gesture in this moment. You need military supplies obviously, but in a war like this for national survival - big statements and gestures matter. Such as Duda's trip to Ukraine (with the Baltics leaders) which was the first for a foreign leader or Johnson doing a walkabout in Kyiv interacting with normal Ukrainians. I remember reading Macron's reluctance to go to Kyiv in April was that there was nothing practical to announce - which I think missed the point.

I think the EU and VDL especially aboslutely gets this and have been at the forefront in understanding and positioning Ukraine's struggle as European. But I've not seen any greater example of why gestures and symbols matter than the Rada installing the EU flag which is incredibly moving. I don't think a President of the Commission will ever have watched a ceremony like it - and it's just a flag being moved but it is so important:
https://twitter.com/MattiMaasikas/status/1542762739143254016?s=20&t=cZ2DhyOFSMgFwWpNO63uJQ
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on June 30, 2022, 07:53:40 PMDid they give the numbers on items they might be substituting production into, like artillery shells and body bags?

I don't think it's feasible to retool washing machine assembly factories en masse to produce artillery shells in the time scale of this invasion.

That said, I think we can assume that military related production has gone up considerably, as the total production in the manufacturing sector is down "only" 3.2%.

Can't get more detail as the English website of the federal statistics service wouldn't load.   :ph34r:
The Russian one seems to be accessible though: https://rosstat.gov.ru/
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2022, 06:06:51 AMBut I've not seen any greater example of why gestures and symbols matter than the Rada installing the EU flag which is incredibly moving. I don't think a President of the Commission will ever have watched a ceremony like it - and it's just a flag being moved but it is so important:
https://twitter.com/MattiMaasikas/status/1542762739143254016?s=20&t=cZ2DhyOFSMgFwWpNO63uJQ

Outstanding.
However, I think the next tranche of Western aid should include some suits and ties for the deputies.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2022, 07:55:58 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2022, 06:06:51 AMBut I've not seen any greater example of why gestures and symbols matter than the Rada installing the EU flag which is incredibly moving. I don't think a President of the Commission will ever have watched a ceremony like it - and it's just a flag being moved but it is so important:

Outstanding.
However, I think the next tranche of Western aid should include some suits and ties for the deputies.  ;)

What needs to come out of this war in order of priority

1: Free Ukraine
2: Putin removed
3: The mandatory suit and tie uniform of politics sent the way of powdered wigs and frills.
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

2 more Brits captured and to go on trial. One of whom isn't even a soldier but an aid worker.

They've really stopped even pretending to obey international law.

BBC News - Two more captured Britons charged by pro-Russian rebels, say reports
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62015954
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on July 02, 2022, 05:25:29 PM2 more Brits captured and to go on trial. One of whom isn't even a soldier but an aid worker.

They've really stopped even pretending to obey international law.

BBC News - Two more captured Britons charged by pro-Russian rebels, say reports
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62015954

It'll only result in a hardening of attitudes against the Russians, especially with those people still wavering. (I consider the 'Zupporters" across the political spectrum as lost anyway and in need of a good shaving. As the collabos they are)

HVC

Russian Olympic hockey goalie drafted intotnhe army for daring to leaving the Moscow team to go to the flyers.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on July 02, 2022, 05:38:23 PMRussian Olympic hockey goalie drafted intotnhe army for daring to leaving the Moscow team to go to the flyers.

... but is he safely in the US, or did they grab him before he left the country?

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Razgovory on July 03, 2022, 05:24:25 PMLysychansk has fallen.

The ukrainians likely managed to get out though, so they can fight another day

Jacob

So what's that... close to 80 days to close a pocket the size of London, more or less, and less than half a percent of Ukrainian territory? Achieved by concentrating essentially all of the available might of the Russian Federation?

I suppose it's progress of a sort for Putin's Russia, but it's certainly significantly less than envisioned at the outset of this phase of the war.

Russia was smashed at Kyiv and in the North. Then they were going to take all of Donbas in a massive pincer, closing the pocket. The size of the pocket was greatly reduced several times and at this point it doesn't even represent the remainder of the Donbas. And it took them a couple of months while sustaining heavy losses.

Yes, I too would like to see Russian forces completely routed from Ukrainian territory and every inch lost to the invader is a real loss. But this does not seem like a great Russian victory to me.

It may be this shows irreversible Russian gains, but I don't think that's a sure thing at all.

HVC

Reports of a Ukrainian missile  strike on residential area of Belgorod.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on July 04, 2022, 01:27:23 AMSo what's that... close to 80 days to close a pocket the size of London, more or less, and less than half a percent of Ukrainian territory? Achieved by concentrating essentially all of the available might of the Russian Federation?

I suppose it's progress of a sort for Putin's Russia, but it's certainly significantly less than envisioned at the outset of this phase of the war.

Russia was smashed at Kyiv and in the North. Then they were going to take all of Donbas in a massive pincer, closing the pocket. The size of the pocket was greatly reduced several times and at this point it doesn't even represent the remainder of the Donbas. And it took them a couple of months while sustaining heavy losses.

Yes, I too would like to see Russian forces completely routed from Ukrainian territory and every inch lost to the invader is a real loss. But this does not seem like a great Russian victory to me.

It may be this shows irreversible Russian gains, but I don't think that's a sure thing at all.

In Russias favour however they've wiped out a lot of Ukraines best troops in doing this. Further fractions of a percent won't be so well defended.
The question is has Russia lost more of their top troops in the profess.
██████
██████
██████