And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

It's pronounced like a proper first name.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2023, 03:45:15 PMIt's pronounced like a proper first name.

:huh:  Don't think so.

In Brazil they pronounce it like "ey-eyes".

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2023, 04:18:28 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2023, 03:45:15 PMIt's pronounced like a proper first name.

That's for reais (plural). Real is ey-al

Brazilians have trouble with Rs at the beginning of words :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2023, 04:27:59 PM

Yeah but how often do you talk about a single dollar? :contract:

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2023, 04:38:12 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2023, 04:27:59 PM

Yeah but how often do you talk about a single dollar? :contract:

But reals would be pronounce ey-als, so we're both wrong :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

I wouldn't get too hung up on this rupee issue, iirc over the last year Russian oil transported by ships of the global ghost-fleet* to India has massively increased, so that around 50% of India's 2nd oil refinery is given over to processing the russian oil into 'cleaned' new Indian originated oil products like kerosene and diesel. These are then shipped back to Western Europe including the UK.

*up to 500 tankers flagged and managed in such a way that it's very hard to find out who are the real owners and controllers of these vessels.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Yeah, India's replaced Saudi as Europe's biggest refined oil supplier. No doubt there are problems but I think it's like Turkey in, to some extent, arbitraging between Russia and the West (obviously not enough to outweigh the general and growing impact of sanctions).
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

There is no question that this is an extremely beneficial deal for India. They pay with rupees, sell in dollar. But Russia at least does not get the hard currency. 

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on June 06, 2023, 09:38:40 PMThere is no question that this is an extremely beneficial deal for India. They pay with rupees, sell in dollar. But Russia at least does not get the hard currency.

They, the Indians, don't have ownership of the refined products, which are owned by complex opaque entities and sold onto Western companies including Shell, so there are several ways in which the Russians get their money.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Of course I know nothing. But can't help but feel that nothing says "successfully repelling all attacks" like blowing up dams to flood the land and calls for the minister of defence to be executed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2023, 03:36:14 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 06, 2023, 03:28:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2023, 03:26:16 PMWait, rupees are real?

No, reals are different.

:lol:

p.s. Reals are pronounced not at all like you'd expect.

Reais (not reals) and réis are both accepted, or common tender, linguistically speaking.  :P
It's a former Portuguese currency actually, still somewhat used in the escudo days (1000 réis = 1 escudo)

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 07, 2023, 07:34:00 AMOf course I know nothing. But can't help but feel that nothing says "successfully repelling all attacks" like blowing up dams to flood the land and calls for the minister of defence to be executed.

It's the Russian way.