News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

So no drinking water for Crimea from the reservoir, their prepared defense works on the east bank of the Dnipro flooded. Major ecological disaster on territory formally claimed by Moscow. The only potential upside from this action is they don't have to worry about an amphibious assault across the Dnipro for the next couple of weeks, can shift a few units around. :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Duque de Bragança

Seems like a panicky decision following the "totally repulsed" Ukrainian offensive or force recon of the past days.  :hmm:

Legbiter

But glorious Gerasimov personally repulsed the feeble hohol attacks yesterday, destroying 500 Leopards 20 French tanks 1500 Bradleys and 21 F-16s.  :huh:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

Also he sank 4 aircraft carriers and captured 3 imperial eagles.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Interesting Twitter thread by a guy whose bio says he's a NPR science reporter.  Since Musk got rid of legacy blue checks can't be certain, but seems to check out.

Anyways he points out the Russians were doing a shitty job managing the dam in the first place and a structural failure can't be ruled out.  Includes a bunch of satellite imagery.

https://twitter.com/gbrumfiel/status/1665959437981429762

Or (and this is just me speculating) the Russians might have planned for a smaller, more controlled breach, but the existing damage caused a more general collapse.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zanza

You all read how Russia is cleverly circumventing the oil sanctions by selling to India. The problem with that is that they are paid in rupees, which was even said to show a weakening of the dollar. Which are not really convertible or useable outside India. But India does not really sell anything that Russia needs. So all they get for their oil is evergrowing bank accounts in Indian banks...

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2023, 10:08:59 AMInteresting Twitter thread by a guy whose bio says he's a NPR science reporter.  Since Musk got rid of legacy blue checks can't be certain, but seems to check out.

Anyways he points out the Russians were doing a shitty job managing the dam in the first place and a structural failure can't be ruled out.  Includes a bunch of satellite imagery.

https://twitter.com/gbrumfiel/status/1665959437981429762

Or (and this is just me speculating) the Russians might have planned for a smaller, more controlled breach, but the existing damage caused a more general collapse.

Sounds very possible.
I've heard it theorised they wanted to wash away Ukrainian positions on the sandbars but ended up wrecking their own fortifications too.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Zanza on June 06, 2023, 10:15:49 AMYou all read how Russia is cleverly circumventing the oil sanctions by selling to India. The problem with that is that they are paid in rupees, which was even said to show a weakening of the dollar. Which are not really convertible or useable outside India. But India does not really sell anything that Russia needs. So all they get for their oil is evergrowing bank accounts in Indian banks...

There's no way for them to convert those rupees to dollars?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2023, 01:12:34 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 06, 2023, 10:15:49 AMYou all read how Russia is cleverly circumventing the oil sanctions by selling to India. The problem with that is that they are paid in rupees, which was even said to show a weakening of the dollar. Which are not really convertible or useable outside India. But India does not really sell anything that Russia needs. So all they get for their oil is evergrowing bank accounts in Indian banks...

There's no way for them to convert those rupees to dollars?

I guess this is where the Swift sanctions come in.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

I'm sure there are more then a few Indian companies willing to be middlemen.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2023, 01:22:08 PMI'm sure there are more then a few Indian companies willing to be middlemen.

Currency swaps can get a bit risky - even when not dealing with the obvious additional risks present in these circumstances.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2023, 01:31:01 PM
Quote from: HVC on June 06, 2023, 01:22:08 PMI'm sure there are more then a few Indian companies willing to be middlemen.

Currency swaps can get a bit risky - even when not dealing with the obvious additional risks present in these circumstances.

Wouldn't it be easier to buy and sell the goods Russia needs?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on June 06, 2023, 01:12:34 PMThere's no way for them to convert those rupees to dollars?
There sure is, it is just a question of the price. There is little demand for rupees as you cannot spend them outside of India. There is few interesting investment opportunities inside India and not that many Indian goods or services to buy. That's why India has a significant trade deficit as well. So if you have billions of rupees and little demand, you can of course sell them. But certainly not at the normal exchange rate. You would have to heavily discount it, which means Russia gets much less hard currency for its oil than the sale price of that oil suggests.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017