Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Reuters are quoting the Russians about a major Ukrainian attack:

QuoteQuotes: Russian statement on what it says was a major Ukrainian attack
Story by Reuters • 16m ago

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia's defence ministry on Monday said Ukraine had launched an attack in the eastern Donetsk region.

Below is the full text of the statement.

"From the morning of June 4, the enemy launched a large-scale offensive on five sectors of the front in the South Donetsk direction with the 23rd and 31st mechanized brigades from the strategic reserves of the Armed Forces of Ukraine with the support of other military units and divisions.

"In total, six mechanized and two tank battalions of the enemy were involved.

"The enemy's goal was to break through our defenses on the most vulnerable, in its opinion, sector of the front. The enemy did not achieve its tasks, it had no success.

"As a result of the skillful and competent actions of the 'Eastern' grouping of troops, the losses of the Armed Forces amounted to more than 250 personnel, 16 tanks, three infantry fighting vehicles and 21 armored fighting vehicles.

"The commander of the combined group of troops - the Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, Army General Gerasimov V.V. - was at one of the advanced control points in this direction during this period."

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

PDH

So you're saying none of that actually happened...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on June 04, 2023, 07:33:27 PMSo you're saying none of that actually happened...

Very likely, save of course for the probable Ukrainian tactical victory.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Russia is probably suffering with big moral problems with its troops all across the line expecting a Ukrainian attack any minute for the past 3 months.
Saying "look it happened and it failed" makes sense for them to calm some nerves.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I guess this is going to be a problem with the Ukrainian "radio silence". Media outlets won't have anything else than Russian "reports" to fill the void with.

Sheilbh

I wonder if that's part of the goal with Russia. Provoking people to share videos or analysis to disprove what they're saying and providing them with more information? While also probably not diminishing the impact of the propaganda domestically, where, I imagine it's aimed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

I guess we also shouldn't dismiss the possibility that they are telling the truth. Attacking must be a lot harder than defending against a joke of an army like Russia's.

Josquius

Quote from: GuardianAlexander Khodakovsky, the head of the pro-Moscow Vostok Battalion in the Donbas, said there had been Ukrainian military gains in the Velykonovosilkivskyi area of western Donetsk.

"The enemy is trying to break through. Having grouped their forces into a fist, they were able to achieve tactical success," Khodakovsky said on Telegram. "They took one position from us, but suffered tangible losses. Now the enemy are reinforcing their presence at the point of breakthrough, obviously trying to make further gains."

Khodakovsky estimated the attacks did not represent the promised counteroffensive, but if Ukraine did achieve a breakthrough, many more troops could pour into the breach.

So yes. May well be some truth in it- I suspect with inflated casualty numbers.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2023, 03:01:35 AMI guess we also shouldn't dismiss the possibility that they are telling the truth. Attacking must be a lot harder than defending against a joke of an army like Russia's.
Yes.

Although I just now heard a journalist say last night the MoD issued this statement but "a more nuanced" picture is emerging from other Russian military sources who are reporting some breakthroughs and that Russian forces have a "very serious fight" on their hands.

It is competing narratives and so far the Russian MoD haven't done enough to earn much credibility in this conflict I don't think.

Obviously we don't know and it'll be difficult to find out especially as Ukraine is very clearly pushing for secrecy. It's clear it is serious and something is on.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Good on Scholtz, he yelled back at a bunch of tankies of his party calling him warmonger: https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1665418177147174914?s=20

It is so very fascinating that a lot of the far left has kept its historic love of (Soviet) Russia, while the far right completely lost its historic hate of (Soviet) Russia.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2023, 04:34:22 AMGood on Scholtz, he yelled back at a bunch of tankies of his party calling him warmonger: https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1665418177147174914?s=20

It is so very fascinating that a lot of the far left has kept its historic love of (Soviet) Russia, while the far right completely lost its historic hate of (Soviet) Russia.

He did well there, IMHO.
Though I'm a bit wary of Germans shouting at rallies :p

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Quote from: PDH on June 04, 2023, 07:33:27 PMSo you're saying none of that actually happened...

It seems to have kicked off. Though the part about Gerasimov personally leading the defense...yeah.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

It's definitely the opening stages, reconnaissance in force in several places on the front so far plus Operation Belgorossa.  ^_^

Waiting for Priggy to launch a tirade against the russki MOD. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

I see rumours of Leopards on the frontline has started to spread on Russian Telegram.