Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I think this is a very real possibility within the next 72 hours:

QuoteNATO says Russia could be poised to invade Ukraine

BRUSSELS Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:55am EDT

(Reuters) - Russia has amassed around 20,000 combat-ready troops on Ukraine's eastern border and could use the pretext of a humanitarian or peace-keeping mission to invade, NATO said on Wednesday.

rest of item here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/06/us-ukraine-crisis-nato-idUSKBN0G613M20140806

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Viking

When was the last time we had a war where both sides had armor divisions?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on August 06, 2014, 04:10:19 PM
Ukes ain't gonna be pushovers on this. Putin is a fool.

To a large extent I agree.

There was a time within the first week after the Crimea takeover, when Ukrainian morale was so low, Russian forces could have occupied all of East Ukraine in a couple of days.

mongers

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on August 06, 2014, 04:11:38 PM
When was the last time we had a war where both sides had armor divisions?

Maybe not the last, but maybe the last epic tank battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Medina_Ridge

Tank Losses:
US 0 (1 fatality due to friendly fire)
Iraq 186 tanks, 127 AFVs

Battle Length:
2 hours
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

derspiess

I don't think anything will happen.  They will need more than 20,000 troops to do anything.  They had more than that massed at the border before and then backed down.  Uncle Vlad may be trying to scare, intimidate, or provoke the Ukes but I don't see him invading.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Quote from: derspiess on August 06, 2014, 04:25:22 PM
I don't think anything will happen.  They will need more than 20,000 troops to do anything.  They had more than that massed at the border before and then backed down.  Uncle Vlad may be trying to scare, intimidate, or provoke the Ukes but I don't see him invading.

Who knows, send in what you have now, take your sweet time to wring maximum soap-opera/propaganda value out of it while reinforcements arrive in dribs and drabs, Russian improvisation style. .
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 06, 2014, 04:27:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2014, 04:20:43 PM
I don't think we sent over any armored divisions.

The UK sent the 1st Armoured Division.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_Iraq_(2003)_order_of_battle

They should have sent over XXX Corps commanded by Bernard Montgomery's Great-Grandson if they wanted to be that retro.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Actually guys I believe the Brits sent their 1st Armored Division to participate in Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on August 06, 2014, 05:04:37 PM
Actually guys I believe the Brits sent their 1st Armored Division to participate in Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003.

What am I, chopped liver?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius