Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Azerbaijan media put out a statement it was one of their citizens driving the truck that blew up on the bridge.

Legbiter

Quote from: Zanza on October 09, 2022, 10:13:24 AMIt is bizarre how much of this war can be followed live on social media. Here is a picture of the cleanup of the bridge. Some of the rails look damaged.

That fuel train probably severely damaged the underlying steel beams and concrete while it burned for hours. :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict

Quote from: Legbiter on October 09, 2022, 02:18:05 PM
Quote from: Zanza on October 09, 2022, 10:13:24 AMIt is bizarre how much of this war can be followed live on social media. Here is a picture of the cleanup of the bridge. Some of the rails look damaged.

That fuel train probably severely damaged the underlying steel beams and concrete while it burned for hours. :hmm:

Burning fuel doesn't affect steel beams  :tinfoil:

Apparently trains are running again.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

If only Languish had an engineer with experience in rail...  :hmm:

PDH

Quote from: celedhring on October 09, 2022, 03:57:30 PMIf only Languish had an engineer with experience in rail...  :hmm:
The last thing we need is expertise to challenge our opinions.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Surely replacing rail is a pretty quick operation. The Russians I believe have an entire section of the army for railway stuff. I wonder if their quality is less than expected too.
The concern/hope would be more the bridge structure itself is fucked. Which sadly doesn't seem to be as much as we hoped.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on October 09, 2022, 03:41:34 PMBurning fuel doesn't affect steel beams  :tinfoil:

Indeed.  If it did, World Trade Center 1 and 2 would probably have collapsed.

Too soon?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2022, 05:55:52 PM
Quote from: Maladict on October 09, 2022, 03:41:34 PMBurning fuel doesn't affect steel beams  :tinfoil:

Indeed.  If it did, World Trade Center 1 and 2 would probably have collapsed.

Too soon?

That was the joke, you tell me  :)

Maladict

I guess Putin really didn't like anyone touching his bridge.

Josquius

UKRAINE IS A TERRORIST STATE! THEY ATTAKCED OUR BRIDGE! TERRORIST NAZIS!
Now watch as we fire missiles at random civilian areas of Kyiv. As thats not a terrorist thing to do.

Incidentally I just noticed something today- google for something involving Kiev and you get a 'did you mean Kyiv' :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Belarus is accusing Ukraine of preparing an attack.

Putin must be really leaning hard on Lukashenka in desperation. I can't imagine Lukashenka thinking him going on the offensive is anything but a terrible and highly risky idea. He had enough trouble not being deposed even without sending his people on a suicidal war.

Zanza

This is like Germany firing V2s at Britain. No real military purpose, just terrorism.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on October 10, 2022, 05:09:24 AMThis is like Germany firing V2s at Britain. No real military purpose, just terrorism.

Exactly.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

OttoVonBismarck

IMO Biden should give Ukraine some of the more advanced weapon systems it has been requesting in response to Putin indiscriminately launching missiles into civilians.

In some sense this isn't much different from crimes Russia has been committing the entire war--and at 20 or so deaths, these are actually less damaging to civilians than the Russian artillery offensive of the first phase of the war, which frequently was indiscriminately shelling into city centers to enable the Russian advance. But to me it is a moral / psychological difference, while the Russians were indifferent to civilians killed by their artillery, those artillery barrages were at least part of an actual military operation. This missile attack is literally the same as the Nazi V2 missile attacks which were purely designed to terrorize.