Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Is this going to save the russians the trouble of having to blow the bridge when they retreat to this point in a few months?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

The Moose's invasion of Greece didn't threaten the stability of his regime, last as long, or suffer so many casualties.  Putin has out-moosed the Moose.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Maladict

There hasn't been a war run this badly since Olaf the hairy, King of all the Vikings, ordered 80,000 battle helmets with the horns on the inside.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on October 08, 2022, 11:45:42 AMThe Moose's invasion of Greece didn't threaten the stability of his regime, last as long, or suffer so many casualties.  Putin has out-moosed the Moose.

But maybe that's because the Germans bailed him out.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Napoleon's invasion of Russia.

British occupation of Afghanistan was not an invasion per se, but it surely did not end well.

Grey Fox

The US invasion of Canada in 1812? Superior numbers but poor organization crippled the US.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2022, 02:51:07 PMNapoleon's invasion of Russia.

British occupation of Afghanistan was not an invasion per se, but it surely did not end well.
Nappys invasion of Russia took some time before anyone knew it was a disaster.

The actual execution of the invasion was, as far as I am aware, well handled and executed with a very competent and reasonably trained army. Not up to previous versions of the Grand Armee, but still quite well handled.

Nappys invasion of Russia was really a strictly strategic blunder (much like the German invasion of the USSR in WW2 for that matter).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2022, 02:58:33 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2022, 02:51:07 PMNapoleon's invasion of Russia.

Nappys invasion of Russia took some time before anyone knew it was a disaster.

The actual execution of the invasion was, as far as I am aware, well handled and executed with a very competent and reasonably trained army. Not up to previous versions of the Grand Armee, but still quite well handled.

Nappys invasion of Russia was really a strictly strategic blunder (much like the German invasion of the USSR in WW2 for that matter).

Didn't Napoleon lose like a third of his army in the first month of the invasion without really fighting a major battle, just because the logistics weren't working?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on October 08, 2022, 03:33:09 PMFrance declaring war on Prussia, 1870.

Well in that case France was idiotically walking into a deadly trap set by Bismarck, not picking on some smaller neighbor it thought it could push around. Nobody doubted Prussia was a great power with a formidable army in 1870.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2022, 11:34:59 AMIs the invasion of the Ukraine the worst executed aggressive invasion in history?

I mean, I am sure there are lots of examples of terribly thought out and executed attacks. But this has a longevity to it that might take it over the top. Usually something this badly handled would at least be over pretty quickly.
China's invasion of Vietnam?

The longevity is the distinguishing feature compared to that though.

Maybe Iraq's invasion of Iran?
Let's bomb Russia!