News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2022, 12:55:50 AMSpeaking of Putin's birthday, Lukashenko's gift to Putin was a tractor.  :hmm:

Much better than the four sacks of potatoes he gave him in 2019.  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Crazy_Ivan80

he could use the tractor to plant the potatoes...

Legbiter

Quote from: HVC on October 08, 2022, 07:44:09 AMRussians are saying truck. But then again it's a Russian source so take that for what you will.

Yeah looks like a very large truck bomb in the better clips that are coming out now, the driver went on a one-way trip.

Admiral Yi

Suicide bomber doesn't feel like Ukrainian MO.

Tamas

I think this video shows the blast doesn't initiate from the lorry - it seems to engulf it instead:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1578748656533938176

Suicide bombing via truck seems to be the riskiest and least effective way to go about this, especially for an actor like Ukraine with access to a lot of other options.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-juPsPG6FE

Footage of explosion.

I vote for missile strike.

Perhaps not coincidental that a couple of days ago Ukraine said they would grant the US authorization on all targets inside Russia (or something like that).

Tamas

Also since the current official Russian version is it was a truck, it is almost guaranteed that it was not a truck.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on October 08, 2022, 07:56:39 AMIrrelevant to the war but I wonder if anyone more up on Ukrainian sources can let me know on this...Reading today that Ukraine has declared the Kuril islands are legally part of Japan.
If true this is...amateur hour fucked up as Japan itself doesn't even claim the Kuril islands, the entire kuril island dispute is about whether a few islands are part of the kurils or not.
Is it the western media completely failing to understand something in east asia (as per usual) or did Ukraine really fuck up?

It is not "amateur hour fucked up" to observe the simple truth.  Until the peace treaty is signed, the border does not de jure change.  Even if it de facto changed50+ years ago.  That Japan no longer claims the Kuriles in negotiations doesn't change their status under international law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2022, 09:49:41 AMPerhaps not coincidental that a couple of days ago Ukraine said they would grant the US authorization on all targets inside Russia (or something like that).
They hit the part of the bridge that is in Ukraine. The internationally recognized border is further East. 

Legbiter

The Kerch bridge out of action means the only rail link to the Russian troops in Kherson, Zaporizhia and of course Crimea is cut. That's it, no more food and ammo.  :hmm:

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Berkut

Is the invasion of the Ukraine the worst executed aggressive invasion in history?

I mean, I am sure there are lots of examples of terribly thought out and executed attacks. But this has a longevity to it that might take it over the top. Usually something this badly handled would at least be over pretty quickly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2022, 11:34:59 AMIs the invasion of the Ukraine the worst executed aggressive invasion in history?

I mean, I am sure there are lots of examples of terribly thought out and executed attacks. But this has a longevity to it that might take it over the top. Usually something this badly handled would at least be over pretty quickly.

I would vote for Mussolini's invasion of Greece.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on October 08, 2022, 11:38:20 AMI would vote for Mussolini's invasion of Greece.

Beat me to it.

"You can't invade us, we're invading you!"
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien