And we're back!

Main Menu

Best Track 1, Side 1s?

Started by Queequeg, August 06, 2014, 12:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2014, 01:24:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 06, 2014, 01:12:52 PM
You might listen to records or albums like we were forced to do back in the day but do it by choice.

I think I do as is intended. And besides, most albums these days are also released on vinyl. So I think they all fully qualify for the "first track sets the tone".

But my original statement was that you guys were old, that was countered with a generic "but there's no good music these days"-variant from BB.  And I still am a little surprised that most of you don't have a post-1990 album, is all.

Wait a sec - I definitely never said "there is no good new music these days". :mad:

There is some awesome new music these days.  I'll admit I don't have the time or inclination to follow music like I did in my teens, but I can turn on the new music station on the local radio or sat radio and really like a lot of the tunes.

But when I buy music - it's mostly individual tracks.  Or even if I buy the album, it goes on my iPhone and I pick out the individual tracks I like.

Listening to an album in it's entirety like the old days is no more.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2014, 11:30:49 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2014, 01:24:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 06, 2014, 01:12:52 PM
You might listen to records or albums like we were forced to do back in the day but do it by choice.

I think I do as is intended. And besides, most albums these days are also released on vinyl. So I think they all fully qualify for the "first track sets the tone".

But my original statement was that you guys were old, that was countered with a generic "but there's no good music these days"-variant from BB.  And I still am a little surprised that most of you don't have a post-1990 album, is all.

Wait a sec - I definitely never said "there is no good new music these days". :mad:

There is some awesome new music these days.  I'll admit I don't have the time or inclination to follow music like I did in my teens, but I can turn on the new music station on the local radio or sat radio and really like a lot of the tunes.

But when I buy music - it's mostly individual tracks.  Or even if I buy the album, it goes on my iPhone and I pick out the individual tracks I like.

Listening to an album in it's entirety like the old days is no more.

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,11776.msg768920.html#new

Josephus

Pink Floyd: One of These Days
Rush: Tom Sawyer/Spirit of Radio
Yes: Yours is No Disgrace

to name a few...sorry I missed this thread.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

I asked my wife this question last night.  Her pick was "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" from Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road."

Her second choice, "And It Stoned Me," from Van Morrison's "Moondance" is one I would put on my list.   :cool:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on August 08, 2014, 07:50:37 AM
I asked my wife this question last night.  Her pick was "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" from Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road."
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is a great album, but that one is way overshadowed by Candle In The Wind, Benny and the Jets (which I hate), etc.  So I wouldn't have mentioned that album for this topic.

I just thought of another one:  Hall and Oates - Private Eyes - Private Eyes. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on August 08, 2014, 11:53:07 AM
I just thought of another one:  Hall and Oates - Private Eyes - Private Eyes. :)

I can remember the Saturday I walked into Camelot Music at the mall with my allowance and bought that album.

:fasttimesatholyshitiamold:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 08, 2014, 12:03:02 PM
I can remember the Saturday I walked into Camelot Music at the mall with my allowance and bought that album.

:fasttimesatholyshitiamold:

Ah, Camelot Records.  Way better than the shitty FYE brand that consumed it.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

I've sampled a couple of songs recommended here. 

I think our music tastes are...different  :ph34r:

Norgy

The best song recorded, on single and LP, is The Clash' "London Calling". It captures the essence of that band.

The second best is "Alive" by Pearl Jam.

End of.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Norgy on August 08, 2014, 08:26:27 PM
The best song recorded, on single and LP, is The Clash' "London Calling". It captures the essence of that band.

End of.

Pearl Jam.  Sorry, guys, this is the one area where I'm definitely NOT a Gen-X throwback- I could never get past the goatlike mumble of Eddie Vedder. :yuk:

London Calling really should have been on my list, though.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 08, 2014, 10:24:56 PM

End of.

Pearl Jam.  Sorry, guys, this is the one area where I'm definitely NOT a Gen-X throwback- I could never get past the goatlike mumble of Eddie Vedder. :yuk:

London Calling really should have been on my list, though.

I thought about doing a companion thread for "best hidden track", but since hidden tracks are somewhat uncommon, The Clash's Train in Vain would almost certainly be the overwhelming favourite.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Not under consideration in this thread. Track 1 is "Once". :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on August 08, 2014, 08:06:49 PM

That's because under that nondescript Chinese office drone exterior, you're really Mrs. Gladys Samuelson, 72, of Olathe, Kansas.

Admiral Yi

"More Than A Feeling" Boston: Eponymous.

"Mirror in the Bathroom" The English Beat: Eponymous.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2014, 12:15:39 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 08, 2014, 08:06:49 PM

That's because under that nondescript Chinese office drone exterior, you're really Mrs. Gladys Samuelson, 72, of Olathe, Kansas.

Have you made up your mind on whether I am an old American lady, or Chinese Empress Dowager of the Animetards?   :P