Radio
6 (27.3%)
Select songs (iTunes, etc.)
6 (27.3%)
New music suck (Jaron, etc.)
3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Liep

So the opening track thread made me think I'm a bit weird in how I listen to music.

If I hear a really good song on the radio I go out and buy the entire album and listen to that. And I had guessed that the millennials got most of their music from YouTube or other on-demand free single dispensers, but I would've thought that older generations (Languish included) still stuck to the album format.

So what is it? :elvis:  :punk:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

I havent bought an "album" for well over 10 years.

mongers

I only buy albums, on occasion I'll buy an MP3 album if it's something I'm not too bothered about or is hard to find on CD. 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Depends on the band. Some do proper albums, others just make albums that are a collection of singles and tat.
██████
██████
██████

Warspite

I listen to the sort of bands that make albums, so I still listen to albums.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Monoriu

I hate albums.  There are usually only one or two songs per CD that I want to listen to.  Either I want to listen to it over and over, or I don't want to bother with it.  So it was my childhood dream to collect all the songs that I want to listen to in a playlist, because I find it too troublesome to listen to one song on a CD, then switch to another CD, then another...

I don't think I have ever listened to a CD from beginning to the end.  I usually give each song one minute max - if it doesn't pass the "do I want to listen to it over and over for the rest of my life" test, I skip it. 

I am, however, willing to buy an album if it means getting a single song that I really want and I can't get that song by...other methods.  I've done it many times.

celedhring

"Buy"????? Spotify rules.

I think nowadays I stream 90% of the music I listen; I still do buy "great" albums from time to time for collecting sake, but I made the mental switch almost a couple years ago of not owning most of the music I sample.

That said, I do stream a lot of full albums, since most of the bands I like, I like them because they make albums, not two radio-able hit songs + filler.

sbr

I bought the latest Eminem album on CD a few months ago, and from an actual brick-and-mortar store.  I don't remember the last one before that, but I haven't bought/stole/acquired any other music in that time period either.

When I do listen to my own music library I do tend to listen to it as albums and in the released order.  I do stream quite a bit of music too.  I mostly listen to sports talk radio and pod casts anymore though.

MadImmortalMan

I've never bought a single track on its own. Whole albums or nothing.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

LaCroix

Quote from: Monoriu on August 06, 2014, 06:10:39 PMI usually give each song one minute max - if it doesn't pass the "do I want to listen to it over and over for the rest of my life until it burns out" test, I skip it. 

:yes:

DontSayBanana

I've never done singles, though I have been known to pick up the occasional EP when I'm really into a group.  I grew up with vinyl, cassettes, and an 8-track player, so I don't think I ever got over the magic of being able to pop in a CD and not having to switch sides halfway through.

Granted, by the time our record player had worn out, I had gotten really good at reading the grooves on the albums to cue up exactly the song I wanted, but even when I'm popping something into Grooveshark, I'm likely to cue up the whole album and let it play.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

For the best music I listen to, if you aren't at least a minute in, it's still the overture/intro/nothing happened yet. You have to go three or four tracks before you really know.

Always full albums or you miss too much. If it's not good enough to buy the album it's not good enough to buy. Period.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2014, 06:18:14 PM
"Buy"????? Spotify rules.

I think nowadays I stream 90% of the music I listen; I still do buy "great" albums from time to time for collecting sake, but I made the mental switch almost a couple years ago of not owning most of the music I sample.

That said, I do stream a lot of full albums, since most of the bands I like, I like them because they make albums, not two radio-able hit songs + filler.

Very much this.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Obviously I use Spotify. Buying albums? For reals?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Pedrito

I buy albums of music I like after I've listened to it.
And I buy them from a b&m store in my town.

I am: Ned Ludd.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: