Main Menu

Best Track 1, Side 1s?

Started by Queequeg, August 06, 2014, 12:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2014, 12:36:51 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2014, 05:08:55 AM
God you people are old.

We're discussing album tracks.  Who even buys albums these days?  Of course we're going to be going fairly old-school in our selections.

All those I listed comes off great albums. Every artist still releases their songs on albums, even if they release them on soundcloud or whatever first, though some still stick to 7".

It's just that you stopped listening to new music. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2014, 12:46:48 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 06, 2014, 12:36:51 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2014, 05:08:55 AM
God you people are old.

We're discussing album tracks.  Who even buys albums these days?  Of course we're going to be going fairly old-school in our selections.

All those I listed comes off great albums. Every artist still releases their songs on albums, even if they release them on soundcloud or whatever first, though some still stick to 7".

It's just that you stopped listening to new music. :P

The concept of a first track on side one is nowhere near as important as it once was.  You are just too young to understand such things. :)

Liep

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 06, 2014, 12:48:30 PM
The concept of a first track on side one is nowhere near as important as it once was.  You are just too young to understand such things. :)

Well, the thread started with an album from 2006. And why would it not be important anymore?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2014, 12:51:33 PM

Well, the thread started with an album from 2006. And why would it not be important anymore?

Because you can easily start with any song you want.  Back in the day, unless you were really good at manually placing the needle on the record, you always started with the first track and that influenced how you experienced the rest of the record.  Even when we went to casette tapes the first track was important because you would still start with the first track until the devices came along that made it easier to select songs.

Liep

But then it's equally important for people who listens to the first track still, I assume. That's what I do, I rarely know the titles of songs because I never check my iPhone I just start an album and go.

Liep

Also, I'm sure most artists still care about how an album is composed. I mean, Katy Perry probably makes more money off iTunes-singles, but besides those YouTube heroes an album still starts with track 1.

crazy canuck

I didnt deny there might still be some importance.  I think you are correct that there is still some importance.  I said it is nowhere near as important as it once was.  You might listen to records or albums like we were forced to do back in the day but do it by choice.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2014, 05:38:40 AM
I remember HATING Black Sabbath because there was this bully in high school that always wore Black Sabbath shirts. That's why I never bought their albums until my late 20s. I was indeed blown away.
Wow. Those bullies have taste. The ones when I was at school all liked generic crappy techno club stuff.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on August 06, 2014, 01:14:06 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 06, 2014, 05:38:40 AM
I remember HATING Black Sabbath because there was this bully in high school that always wore Black Sabbath shirts. That's why I never bought their albums until my late 20s. I was indeed blown away.
Wow. Those bullies have taste. The ones when I was at school all liked generic crappy techno club stuff.

Wait, you were bullied by guys who listened to techno?

Liep

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 06, 2014, 01:12:52 PM
You might listen to records or albums like we were forced to do back in the day but do it by choice.

I think I do as is intended. And besides, most albums these days are also released on vinyl. So I think they all fully qualify for the "first track sets the tone".

But my original statement was that you guys were old, that was countered with a generic "but there's no good music these days"-variant from BB.  And I still am a little surprised that most of you don't have a post-1990 album, is all.

CountDeMoney

Punk probably doesn't even know what a flash cube is.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2014, 01:24:17 PM
You might listen to records or albums like we were forced to do back in the day but do it by choice.

I think I do as is intended. And besides, most albums these days are also released on vinyl. So I think they all fully qualify for the "first track sets the tone".

But my original statement was that you guys were old, that was countered with a generic "but there's no good music these days"-variant from BB.  And I still am a little surprised that most of you don't have a post-1990 album, is all.

Probably because post 1990 few people still bought records and so the concept of a first track side A had little meaning for us anymore.  I understand that buying records has become a trendy thing again but that just underscores the difference in the way people listen to music now.

To put it bluntly, I can vividly remember a lot of first tracks from back in the day.  I have no idea whether the new music I now listen to is a first track on an album. Its just a song I like that I downloaded from itunes or wherever.

Liep

So you haven't heard a full album since Napster?

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 06, 2014, 01:39:47 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 06, 2014, 01:24:17 PM

Probably because post 1990 few people still bought records and so the concept of a first track side A had little meaning for us anymore.  I understand that buying records has become a trendy thing again but that just underscores the difference in the way people listen to music now.

To put it bluntly, I can vividly remember a lot of first tracks from back in the day.  I have no idea whether the new music I now listen to is a first track on an album. Its just a song I like that I downloaded from itunes or wherever.

For my backup job I just finished working on a study about the music industry, and one of the conclusions is that the "silent killer" of the recording industry is the fact that people have stopped paying 15$ for a full album and instead spend 1$ on just the songs they like (or stream them).

mongers

To some extent I think the thread topic is a bit of a miss, since if were the question is alluding to the vinyl or cassette experience of the listener, then why not ask which is the best or stand out sides of albums you've heard.

Particularly with vinyl you were likely to place a chosen side on turntable, walk back/sit down/dance and then hear the whole side in one go.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"