News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York City is America's unhappiest town

Started by garbon, July 25, 2014, 04:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Something is fishy about this if Richmond, a city I know pretty well, is supposed to be the "happiest" city in the country.

Madison, Wisconsin would probably take my vote for happiest, looking from the outside.  Maybe San Luis Obispo.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on July 26, 2014, 10:02:07 PM
Something is fishy about this if Richmond, a city I know pretty well, is supposed to be the "happiest" city in the country.

Yeah, that struck me as strange, too.  Not that I can legitimately claim to know Richmond well, but I have been there a few times, and at least on a superficial level, it's one of the most depressing places I've visited.

OttoVonBismarck

Madison, Wisconsin would probably take my vote for happiest, looking from the outside.  Maybe San Luis Obispo.

Well to some degree I think happiness is about expectations. I don't know anyone who expects to be happy after moving to Richmond. But NYC is still romanticized, a lot of neurotic / gay / artsy / loser type people intentionally migrate to NYC from all over the country because they believe that is where their professional / artistic / gay dreams will come true. There's a big discrepancy between expectations and reality. When they actually move there they find that they don't get to live in the trendy neighborhoods because it costs about 8x what they earn in a month to sublet a cot in the kitchen of a 1 BR apartment from the 3 roommates who share the rest of the place; so instead they end up exiled to one of the nasty boroughs and it's basically like a bigger version of Cleveland at that point.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 26, 2014, 11:01:22 PM

Well to some degree I think happiness is about expectations. I don't know anyone who expects to be happy after moving to Richmond. But NYC is still romanticized, a lot of neurotic / gay / artsy / loser type people intentionally migrate to NYC from all over the country because they believe that is where their professional / artistic / gay dreams will come true. There's a big discrepancy between expectations and reality. When they actually move there they find that they don't get to live in the trendy neighborhoods because it costs about 8x what they earn in a month to sublet a cot in the kitchen of a 1 BR apartment from the 3 roommates who share the rest of the place; so instead they end up exiled to one of the nasty boroughs and it's basically like a bigger version of Cleveland at that point.

There is truth in that though your examples are a bit extreme.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 26, 2014, 12:05:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 25, 2014, 11:21:08 PM
I blame the gays.
And the blacks.
No way is it the wealth disparity.

I can always count on you to post something dumber then I can even think of.
And I can always count on you to post a completely irrelevant reply that is not a reply.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

If you're right Squeeze, all those New Yorkers need to do to increase their happiness is move upstate.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 26, 2014, 11:48:02 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 26, 2014, 11:01:22 PM

There is truth in that though your examples are a bit extreme.
Ya think there was maybe some exaggeration for comic effect?  :lol:

That all sounds reasonable, OvB, and maybe the counter-intuitive nature of what makes for a "happy city" is the real story here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2014, 01:50:05 AM
I blame the gays.
And the blacks.

And I can always count on you to post a completely irrelevant reply that is not a reply.

Okay, here's a more relevant reply.  You're an idiot.  Wealth disparity is actually worse in some of the happy places.  For instance the city with the worst disparity is Atlanta, which is listed as one of the happy places.  New York city has 13th worst wealth disparity and Richmond is 14th.

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst/most-income-inequality-us-cities
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Maybe San Luis Obispo.

They're not too happy out there now;  talking to my uncle out there, the drought is turning Wine Country into Raisin Country.  Hard times.

I'd move out there in a heartbeat, but no real jobs.

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2014, 09:45:34 PM
:o

Think about it...

Tons of vegetarians.
Tons of asians.
Tons of liberals.
Tons of atheists.

I think you don't like to cook, and the place has a zillion restaurants. Many if not most have vegetarian options; more than a few cater to vegetarians.

I think New York being expensive is a bit overdone. A part of it is probably because out of towners drive into manhattan and pay $50 to park like dumbasses. Rent is expensive, but you don't need a car, and public transportation is world class. I think it is cheaper than London, Paris, Rome, or Tokyo.

New York City is awesome and I'd be happy to move there. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

You can't just dismiss the fact that rent is expensive.  It's really fucking expensive.  It's so expensive that it's the norm rather than the exception to live with your roommates when you're in your 20ies.

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2014, 09:22:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2014, 01:50:05 AM
I blame the gays.
And the blacks.

Okay, here's a more relevant reply.  You're an idiot.  Wealth disparity is actually worse in some of the happy places.  For instance the city with the worst disparity is Atlanta, which is listed as one of the happy places.  New York city has 13th worst wealth disparity and Richmond is 14th.

http://www.bloomberg.com/visual-data/best-and-worst/most-income-inequality-us-cities
As Otto says I doubt they have the expectations of New York however. Less people coming in from outside too I would imagine.
██████
██████
██████

sbr

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2014, 06:37:41 PM

As Otto says I doubt they have the expectations of New York however. Less people coming in from outside too I would imagine.

Richmond residents have understood since their childhood that they will get shit on in this world, and have made peace with that, and in that way found happiness.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014