News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York City is America's unhappiest town

Started by garbon, July 25, 2014, 04:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

:showoff:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/new-york-americas-unhappiest-city-study-article-1.1877204

QuoteThe National Bureau of Economic Research says New York is the unhappiest city in he U.S. Pittsburgh, Louisville, Milwaukee and Detroit follow.

New York, New York's little town blues aren't melting away.

It's just the opposite, according to a study released by the National Bureau of Economic Research that says New York is the unhappiest city in the U.S.

New York, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Milwaukee and Detroit are, in that order, America's least happy cities. Survey data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention asked respondents: "In general, how satisfied are you with your life?" Researchers then tweaked that data for factors like race, education, marital status and family size.

"Our research indicates that people care about more than happiness alone, so other factors may encourage them to stay in a city despite their unhappiness," UBC researcher Joshua Gottlieb said in the report.

"Researchers and policymakers should not consider an increase in reported happiness as an overriding objective," he added.

The city that's all smiles is Richmond, Va., followed by jovial metro areas Norfolk, Va.; Washington; Raleigh-Durham, N.C.; and Atlanta, Ga.

Gothamites aren't buying this sob story. New York's population is currently 8.4 million, an all-time high.

Just ask new kid on the block Jaclyn Minker, 22, who moved to the Upper East Side this summer.

"There's nothing I can't do in New York City," said Minker, who works at a startup company in Brooklyn.

"If happiness is doing what I love, when I want to do it, New York City must be a happy place. There is such variation and uniqueness in each neighborhood that I visit and person that I meet and that makes me happy to live here," she adds.

For everyone else, if you can be unhappy here, you can be unhappy anywhere.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

mongers

Garbon you should turn this around for the Big Apple, maybe think about leaving the place.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Darth Wagtaros

Its a shithole. Of course its denizens are unhappy.
PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I blame the gays.
And the blacks.
No way is it the wealth disparity.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

The only Goddamned useful things about NYC are that it votes Democratic in federal elections and you can blow it up in movies.  Which are largely made by Hollywood in Canada.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

It's the most populous city in the country, by far.  Of course it's going to be the unhappiest--there are simply more people there to be unhappy.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: dps on July 25, 2014, 11:46:12 PM
It's the most populous city in the country, by far.  Of course it's going to be the unhappiest--there are simply more people there to be unhappy.

Sure, but one presumes they're talking about per capita unhappiness.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 25, 2014, 11:49:33 PM
Quote from: dps on July 25, 2014, 11:46:12 PM

Sure, but one presumes they're talking about per capita unhappiness.  :sleep:

Well, yeah, but to confirm that I'd have had to actually read the article in the OP.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on July 25, 2014, 11:21:08 PM
I blame the gays.
And the blacks.
No way is it the wealth disparity.

I can always count on you to post something dumber then I can even think of.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Louisville doesn't seem particularly 'unhappy' to me.  But I try to avoid the poors... maybe they're unusually unhappy, I dunno.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on July 26, 2014, 08:17:06 PM
Louisville doesn't seem particularly 'unhappy' to me.  But I try to avoid the poors... maybe they're unusually unhappy, I dunno.

Because people generally just walk around with their emotional state on their sleeves. :P

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2014, 11:23:34 PM
The only Goddamned useful things about NYC are that it votes Democratic in federal elections and you can blow it up in movies.  Which are largely made by Hollywood in Canada.

You should move there. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)