News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New York City is America's unhappiest town

Started by garbon, July 25, 2014, 04:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Yeah, it's a lot harder to do it as an adult.  Now quit trying to trick me into dying in NYC.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Habbaku

New York, New York is a hell of a town!
The sky is brown and the water is brown!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

I can't imagine anything more maddening, cool, nerve wracking and awesome than living in NYC.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 27, 2014, 07:31:29 PM
Yeah, it's a lot harder to do it as an adult.  Now quit trying to trick me into dying in NYC.

Why you have a lot tying you to SC?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 27, 2014, 05:35:46 PM
You can't just dismiss the fact that rent is expensive.  It's really fucking expensive.  It's so expensive that it's the norm rather than the exception to live with your roommates when you're in your 20ies.

Ok? I mean that doesn't sound so crazy with adolescence continuing through the 20s these days.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2014, 09:41:21 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 27, 2014, 07:31:29 PM

Why you have a lot tying you to SC?

Yeah, the only job that's ever paid me a living wage, that doesn't exist anymore in NYC (or, if I were to get licensed, at great expense, would effectively pay less).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I was very happy in NYC, and I hope to return one day.

That said, I wouldn't do it unless I was on something like 4k per month.

Ideologue

That's not very much.  Or do you mean after-tax?
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2014, 02:01:52 AM
That's not very much.  Or do you mean after-tax?

Yes, net.

I lived on 2,5k a month when I was a student there, would rather not do it again though.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2014, 02:15:43 AM
I lived on 2,5k a month when I was a student there, would rather not do it again though.

That makes no sense to the "move-somewhere-with-no-money-and-no-job-prospects" crowd.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 28, 2014, 09:11:49 AM

That makes no sense to the "move-somewhere-with-no-money-and-no-job-prospects" crowd.

Like I did?

alfred russel

It is truly a wonder that this continent ever got populated.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

It's the Mets fans dragging the numbers down.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on July 28, 2014, 09:26:06 AM

It is truly a wonder that this continent ever got populated.

The Pilgrims didn't pay 2000$/month for a cockroach infested basement in Brooklyn, I'm sure.