Your Top Ten, Twelve or Twenty Favourite Films.

Started by mongers, July 25, 2014, 03:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

In no particular order, and with no particular deep thought behind it (or as Sheilbh would say: "off the top of my head"):

the Celebration - I was amazed when I saw it. "They can do that?" Amazing and hilarious and profoundly touching at the same time, once you get past the first few minutes of shaky cam annoyance.

Casablanca - I always have time to watch it. Coincidentally, it is my mother-in-law's favourite film too.

the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - the score, the actors, the cinematography... so much yes.

Pulp Fiction - another film that felt like a revolution at the time, and always watchable.

Old Boy - I didn't know what to expect, and it delivered. Korean cinema has changed since those days, it seems.

Bridge Over the River Kwai - a classic.

Seven Samurai - there's been times where I've found it a little slow and plodding, and I've lacked patience with the film. Not anymore.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - I feel the same way about this film as I do about the great spaghetti Western epics; pure love.

Once Upon a Time in the West - another wonderful adventure film.

Romper Stomper - youth alienation and skinheads in Australia. It's my personal Clockwork Orange.

Quadrophenia - huge cultural influence on a bunch of my youth, even though it precedes it by decades.

Infernal Affairs - intense and nuanced, with excellent performances. This was the first Chinese movie that I really enjoyed.

the Election (aka Triad Election) - my personal favourite from the HK gangster film genre. More political and personal; brutal enough, but less showy than many of them.

Princess Bride - hillarious. Perfect.

Kiki's Delivery Service - my favourite of Miyazaki's oeuvre, though most of them are wonderful. Princess Mononoke is also up there.

In the Mood for Love - I just love the set-dec and costuming so much. It's a lovely little story too.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on August 15, 2014, 06:26:37 PM
QuoteRomper Stomper

Very good movie.

"We came to wreck everything. And ruin your life. God sent us."

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on August 15, 2014, 06:50:15 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 15, 2014, 06:26:37 PM
QuoteRomper Stomper

Very good movie.

"We came to wreck everything. And ruin your life. God sent us."

Jacob, nice list.  :cool: