Your Top Ten, Twelve or Twenty Favourite Films.

Started by mongers, July 25, 2014, 03:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2014, 06:58:04 AM

For your Height only/Agent 3 1/2 (any Philippino midget secret agent basically)

Nice list Duque, some I shall have to check out.

Just love this as a genre of films.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2014, 07:11:35 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2014, 06:58:04 AM
The Prize of Danger (Le prix du danger plagiarised by The Running Man)

Earlier still you had Das Millionenspiel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066079/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Funnily, the game show host later went on to become a popular show host on German TV.

I might buy it while I'm still in Germany.
I reckon it's inspired from the same short story by Sheckley. It's just that for the Hollywood movie the producers acquired the rights of the Stephen king book but then took whole sections of of the Prix du Danger without due credit. They were sued and lost after 10 years of sueing.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Thought about it, and my personal all-time, fave-rave, stuck-on-a-desert-island list:

Rocky
Fight Club
The Bedford Incident
Primer
Planet of the Apes (original, duh)
La Femme Nikita
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Rushmore
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
West Side Story
Danton
Fight Club
The Godfather I and II (I consider them both as one uber-flim)
Young Frankenstein
Zulu

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 28, 2014, 08:52:42 PM
The Bedford Incident

Read the book;  it was pretty good.  Interesting idea, re-doing Moby Dick as a Cold War thriller.  Haven't seen the movie.

The Brain

Quote from: dps on July 28, 2014, 10:37:04 PM
  Interesting idea, re-doing Moby Dick as a Cold War thriller. 

Elaborate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Pedrito

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 28, 2014, 08:52:42 PM
Rushmore

This,my wife says it's excellent but I never got to watch it;

some of my favourites, on top of my head:

Alien
Blade Runner (NOT the director's cut)
Manhunter
Clerks
Rocky Horror Picture Show
For a few dollars more
Hollywood Party
The Elephant Man
Memento
The Godfather II

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on July 29, 2014, 05:54:57 AM

Elaborate.

Saw the movie a few years ago, I don't know how closely it follows the book but [spoiler]a psycho destroyer captain chases a Soviet submarine and recklessly escalates the situation.[/spoiler]

KRonn

Some of my favorites:

Schindler's List
The Princess Bride
Lord of the Ring: The last one, Return of the King, is my favorite of them all.
Patton
A Knight's Tale
Zulu
Transformers

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on July 29, 2014, 05:54:57 AM

Elaborate.

An obsessed destroyer captain hunts a Soviet submarine in the North Atlantic.  It doesn't go well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Conan the Barbarian
Fargo
Goodfellas
High Noon
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Patton
Pulp Fiction
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rocky
Shawshank Redemption
Spartacus

Razgovory

I just watched Fargo last month.  Still a great film.  I noticed it was labeled a "dark comedy", which struck me as weird.  It doesn't seem like a comedy to me.  I guess we are suppose to laugh at the silly accent people have.  The accents are bit overdone, but otherwise the characters seemed very real and interesting.  To me it appeared to be the story of a pathetic criminal who runs a scheme that goes badly almost immediately and the competent, and good-hearted police officer who foils it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Jerry Lundegaard is so inept that his actions are laughable.  The interactions between Steve Buscemi and the giant Norwegian dude are funny too.  WHERE IS... PANCAKE HOUSE!

Admiral Yi

All the interactions are funny.  Shep Proudfoot being interrogated, Steve Buscemi bitching at the parking lot guy, Steve chatting up his hooker, lunch with the Asian guy, etc. etc., etc.