Your Top Ten, Twelve or Twenty Favourite Films.

Started by mongers, July 25, 2014, 03:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

I wanna see All That Jazz.  A musical with Roy Scheider?  SOLD.

Also 8 1/2, though less so.

Also Night of the Hunter, though this relates to Psellus' list.  But Cargo 200?  "You probably haven't heard of it.  It's pretty obscure."  HIPSTER.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Basic Instinct
Alien
Amelie
The Last Seduction
Velvet Goldmine
Princess Mononoke
About Time (or interchangeably Love Actually)
Kill Bill Volume 1
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?
Weekend (2011 film)

Maybe also:
A Knight's Tale
Clue
Evita
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Vanity Fair
Trainspotting
I Heart Huckabees
Mildred Pierce
The Royal Tenenbaums

And then to add a 21st - Devdas (2002)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2014, 07:47:11 PM

that would have been on my list in another 20 minutes.  Brilliant flick, even if I admit that i didn't understand it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

The closing song is worth a million bucks. One of my favorite moments in the story of film. And yeah, Roy completely owns the film.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on July 25, 2014, 08:07:25 PM

The closing song is worth a million bucks. One of my favorite moments in the story of film. And yeah, Roy completely owns the film.

It's on a "very long wait" on Netflix.  Also on a "very long wait"?  Hardcore.  Which has been sitting at the top of my queue since, um, 2012, I think. :lol:

Well I guess I know what to blind buy during the Criterion sale in November. :D  It's worked out for me so far with this one.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

miozozny

Favorite movies at the moment:
His Girl Friday
LA Confidential
La salaire de la peur
Kickass
Cidade de Deus
Seven Samurai
Drive
Fucking Amal
Almost Famous
Miller´s Crossing

11B4V

No particular order;

Alien
The Man Who Would be King
All Quiet on the Western Front
Shawshank
Strangelove
Seven Samurai
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Blade Runner
Goodfellas
Unforgiven
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on July 25, 2014, 08:00:10 PM

that would have been on my list in another 20 minutes.  Brilliant flick, even if I admit that i didn't understand it.

It's just a badly disguised hyper-stylized bio of Bob Fosse. [spoiler]He was genuinely afraid he had few years left after suffering a stroke, so he made that film pretty much to come to terms with his demons. He paints himself as a brilliant artist (and tbf, he was), but a complete cuntish person; throughout the film he's given several chances to "repent" but he always chooses to be amoral yet successful, slowly killing himself in the process. A lot of stuff in the film is drawn from events in his life; in particular how he treated his wife. At the end, he finally dies and asks for forgiveness in the final number, but regrets nothing. It's a testament, extremely self-centered and masturbatory, but oh, so brilliant and entertaining.[/spoiler]

dps

I'm not sure there's much point to it, because my list would change every time someone asked me, but for right now, in no particular order:

Jaws
Raiders of the Lost Ark
True Grit
Airplane!
As Good As It Gets
Star Wars
The Green Mile
Die Hard
This Is Spinal Tap
The Maltese Falcon

Admiral Yi

I liked Zanza's list to start when I read it a while back and I'm not going to read the rest of y'all's knuckleheadhed lists.

I wanted to pitch The Exorcist.  Just watched it again on cable.  The only movie that has ever made me lose my shit as an adult.  The only horror movie that has ever taken seriously the existence of the Devil.

Also Les Ailles de Desir/Die Himmel uber Berlin.  The movie that does the best job ever of expressing the magical feeling of falling in love.

Norgy

Most of the movies mentioned, at least over 90 %, I have seen and enjoyed.

The Exorcist is a good call, Yi. That movie was bloody frightening the first time I saw it.

celedhring

The Exorcist is an amazing film. Strange how Friedkin's career went down so quickly.

Duque de Bragança

The Killer
La grande illusion
No or the vain glory to command
2001 A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
Das Boot
Capitaine Conan
Casablanca
Aguirre der Zorn Gottes
The Lives of Others
It Happened here

The Wild Bunch
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (any dollar trilogy by Leone in fact)
Good Bye Lenin
To Live and Die in L.A (French Connection is more famous and older but I went for something more original)
Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rambo (First Blood)
Nico/Above the Law (not enough left-wing action movies with a back then non-obese Steven Seagal)
The Prize of Danger (Le prix du danger plagiarised by The Running Man)
Robocop
Total Recall
The Thing (Carpenter's remake)

So bad it's good movie list

Ninja Terminator
Samson's Revenge (great naive movie against Dutch imperialism)
Blood Freaks
Samurai Cop
Hard Ticket to Hawaii (Andy Sidaris deserved a mention)
Black Ninja
Warrior of the Lost World
Delta Force (insert any Cannon Chuck Norris Cannon period movie if you disagree)
Rambo III
Turkish Star Wars (any Çüneyt Arkin movie basically)
Ninja III the domination (being available in glorious blu-ray helped as well)
Bridge of Dragons (Dolph's finest worst hour, along Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa)
Parole de Flic (Delon's vigilante movie based on Magnum Force)
Escape from the Bronx
White Fire/Le Diamant/Vivre pour survivre
Starcrash (compulsory italian Star Wars rip-off with David Hasselhoff and a lost Shakespearian actor David Plummer plus Caroline Munro a James Bond girl)
For your Height only/Agent 3 1/2 (any Philippino midget secret agent basically)

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 26, 2014, 06:58:04 AM
The Prize of Danger (Le prix du danger plagiarised by The Running Man)

Earlier still you had Das Millionenspiel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066079/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Funnily, the game show host later went on to become a popular show host on German TV.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.