Asthmatic Man Dies After NYPD Puts Him in a Chokehold

Started by Syt, July 18, 2014, 10:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2014, 04:33:03 PM
Do I need to quote the definition of "homicide" for derspeiss again? :unsure:

Maybe not, but you might need to for LaCroix.

Homicide != murder.  An accidental death can still be homicide if it was caused by another person.  Murder = homicide + the intent to end a life.
Experience bij!

KwangTiger

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 01, 2014, 05:39:08 PM

Homicide != murder.  An accidental death can still be homicide if it was caused by another person.  Murder = homicide + the intent to end a life.

murder encompasses a bit more than intent to end a life - reckless indifference (e.g. chokehold) qualifies as well

Eddie Teach

Hi Kwang. Please tell me you're not in law school.  :yuk:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: KwangTiger on August 02, 2014, 03:44:47 AM

murder encompasses a bit more than intent to end a life - reckless indifference (e.g. chokehold) qualifies as well

You might need to quote the definition of "murder" for DSB.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

A medical examiner ruling a non-natural manner of death a homicide is a separate distinction from the court's legal definition of homicide.

jimmy olsen

Woah! It's been ages, welcome back man!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

:lol: @ OvB......putz

QuoteFor two weeks after the death of a Staten Island man in police custody, frustration simmered as the city awaited the results of the autopsy. The mayor offered sympathy. The police promised better training. But now, with the medical examiner's conclusion that the death was a homicide, by chokehold and chest compression, the investigation — and most significantly, the question of whether to prosecute any police officers — rests in the hands of the Staten Island district attorney's office.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/05/nyregion/after-eric-garner-chokehold-prosecuting-police-is-an-option.html?_r=0
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2014, 10:18:29 AM
My takeaway from stories like these is:
- when dealing with U.S. police, be as unconfrontational as possible, even if you think the police are overstepping their bounds or you're in the right
- when there's someone at the door at weird hours of the night, open up, because it's likely a SWAT team who will storm the place and potentially shoot you if you don't react fast enough
- live as far away from possible felons, so that cops who forgot to check the address for a raid don't fire flashbangs into your baby's bed before they storm the place

You forgot the most important hint:
- don't be black

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on August 15, 2014, 02:16:56 PM
:lol: @ OvB......putz

QuoteFor two weeks after the death of a Staten Island man in police custody, frustration simmered as the city awaited the results of the autopsy. The mayor offered sympathy. The police promised better training. But now, with the medical examiner's conclusion that the death was a homicide, by chokehold and chest compression, the investigation — and most significantly, the question of whether to prosecute any police officers — rests in the hands of the Staten Island district attorney's office.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/05/nyregion/after-eric-garner-chokehold-prosecuting-police-is-an-option.html?_r=0

Yeah most of us knew this "news" 2 weeks ago. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

recklessness ("I don't think I can kill someone this way but I should know it" or "I realise that normally I can kill someone this way but shouldn't happen this time") would not in itself be considered an intent (so would count as homicide) unless you are talking about dolus eventualis ("I realise I can kill someone this way but I don't care either way").