Asthmatic Man Dies After NYPD Puts Him in a Chokehold

Started by Syt, July 18, 2014, 10:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2014, 03:44:43 PM
So much right-wing on right-wing violence. :(
Better than moderate-on-moderate violence we've been subjected to lately.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

11B is a moderate.  JUST.  LIKE.  YOU.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

But he loves his firearms in an immoderate fashion.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

The reaction always devours its own children.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2014, 03:45:33 PM
Laughing is violence now? <_<

Syntactic sodomy was threatened, no laughing matter that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 23, 2014, 09:36:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 23, 2014, 03:45:33 PM
Laughing is violence now? <_<

Syntactic sodomy was threatened, no laughing matter that.

I'll admit that I've never tried that...yet. :ph34r:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

11B, your arguments are useless towards OvB: the deceased was black, so obviously he must have been in the wrong.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-garner-homicide-20140801-story.html

QuoteDeath of man in NYPD chokehold controversy ruled a homicide

The death of a 43-year-old New York City man who was placed in a chokehold by police officers has been ruled a homicide, according to the New York City medical examiner's office.

Eric Garner, whose death became a national controversy after video surfaced of an officer placing him in what appeared to be a chokehold on July 17, was killed by "compression of neck (choke hold), compression of chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police," according to Julie Bolcer, director of public affairs for the medical examiner's office.

Bolcer said Garner's asthma, obesity and cardiovascular disease were contributing factors, but the medical examiner's office has ruled the death a homicide.

Police were trying to arrest Garner for selling untaxed cigarettes when he became embroiled in an argument with officers Daniel Pantaleo and Justin D'Amico. A video of the incident shows Pantaleo place him in a chokehold and drive him to the ground, while another officer pins his head to the sidewalk as Garner repeatedly says "I can't breathe!"

Pantaleo's gun and badge were taken away, while D'Amico has been placed on desk duty.

At the time, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called the incident "troubling," while Police Commissioner William Bratton said it showed the need for new training among officers. 

In a statement issued late Friday, de Blasio said his administration will work closely with law enforcement to ensure a "justified outcome" in light of the medical examiner's ruling.

"We all have a responsibility to work together to heal the wounds from decades of mistrust and create a culture where the police department and the communities they protect respect each other—and that's a responsibility that Commissioner Bratton and I take very seriously," the mayor said.

A spokesperson for the NYPD referred all questions to the Richmond County District Attorney's Office.

Garner's family is expected to react to the ruling on Saturday morning, alongside the Rev. Al Sharpton at the National Action Network's weekly address in Harlem, according to an NAN spokeswoman.

Richmond County District Atty. Daniel Donovan released a statement on Friday acknowledging the medical examiner's findings, but said only that the investigation into the man's death will continue.

"We await the issuance of the official death certificate and the autopsy report," the statement read. "The investigation into Mr. Garner's death continues."

Wayne Fisher, a law enforcement expert and professor with the Rutgers University Police Institute in New Jersey, said Friday's ruling does not mean Pantaleo and D'Amico will face criminal charges.

"All the medical examiner is saying is that the death was caused by the actions of another human being," Fisher told the Los Angeles Times. "Now, the question is whether or not those actions constituted a crime."

Donna Lieberman, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union's New York chapter, told The Times that the medical examiner's ruling virtually ensures that the officers involved will face a grand jury hearing.

"This case has to go before the grand jury," she said. "When the medical examiner rules a case a homicide by chokehold, and the entire world has seen a video of the people responsible for the chokehold, the case is going before the grand jury."

Lieberman also said the visibility of the case coupled with the determination that Garner's death was a homicide makes Bratton's plan to retrain officers involved in street clashes all the more essential.

"It should be chastening to the police department that what the world saw on video was deemed homicide by the medical examiner," she said. "The need for thorough and effective retraining of police officers in New York City is essential."

Barrister

Do I need to quote the definition of "homicide" for derspeiss again? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

i can see accidental death, sure, but to say the cops murdered him is going a bit far.  :hmm: