And we're back!

Main Menu

Thor is transexual!

Started by merithyn, July 16, 2014, 09:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

He's a girl, now!

:rolleyes:

If they wanted to attract more women and girls to superhero comic books, why not create one based around a classic heroine/goddess instead of re-inventing some guy god?

Women who come to mind:

Diana/Artemis - Goddess of the Hunt
Boudica - Legendary female warrior
Freyja - Goddess of War
Cordelia - Legendary War Queen
Grainne - Irish Pirate that bested Queen Elizabeth I
Hervor - Sheildmaiden of the Vikings

QuoteMarvel Comics has unveiled big changes for its hammer-wielding Norse superhero Thor - the character will become a woman.

The publisher said it hoped recasting Thor would attract more women and girls to superhero comic books.

New artwork reveals the once strapping and bearded Thunder God now as a buxom blonde, clad in a caped costume.

Thor first appeared in a Marvel adventure in 1962 and has been the star of two blockbuster movies.

New York-based Marvel described the move as "one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of the 'big three' of Captain America, Iron Man and Thor.

"No longer is the classic Thunder God able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjolnir, and a brand new female hero will emerge worthy of the name Thor," it said in a news article.

Jason Aaron, writer of the new Thor series, said in a statement: "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor."

The female Thor is due to appear in her first adventure in October and be illustrated by Russell Dauterman.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Well, let's see how this plays out first, and what the origin of female Thor is.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Yeah I agree that is stupid.  I don't think this is something anybody wanted.

Quote"This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor."

LOL Lady Thor that is exactly what it is.  This is a retarded gimmick.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I reserve judgment until I see more of this.

Obviously you can play all kinds of "women breaking into a male domain" conflicts with this one (more so than adding a female superhero of which there are many).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: merithyn on July 16, 2014, 09:46:46 AM
He's a girl, now!

If they wanted to attract more women and girls to superhero comic books, why not create one based around a classic heroine/goddess instead of re-inventing some guy god?

Women who come to mind:

Freyja - Goddess of War

I take your point, but there might be issues of copyright confusion with Artemis (heavily featured in Wonder Woman), and Freya(sic) has already been watered down by Marvel to the point of unusability.

Sif, on the other hand, would have been perfect.  Considering the buzz bringing her in to tie Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D together with Thor: The Dark World, I would have thought she would be a shoo-in for exactly what they're trying to do here. :wacko:

My prediction: taking a page from West Coast Avengers (Scarlet Witch's twins are revealed to be illusions created by Master Pandemonium), this will go on for a few issues before being reverted with the excuse that Loki's trickery was somehow responsible for the gender change.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

All the choices provided by Mery are worse.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 16, 2014, 10:11:37 AM
All the choices provided by Mery are worse.

Oh so all legendary female characters are just automatically inferior to Thor?  Is that it? :angry:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Everyone is inferior to Thor.

but the Avenger universe as enough characters already, however adding more to that group by way of female creep is bad.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 16, 2014, 10:15:52 AM
Everyone is inferior to Thor.

Well....I guess I cannot argue with that.

Josquius

It does seem weird that thor, an established character beyond comic books, would be the one they would try this with. Surely a female captain America for instance would be far less silly?

Or perhaps that's their thinking, a lot more people know of the real Thor today than when the comic book character was first conceived, they're trying to draw far more of a line between superhero Thor and god Thor?
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

They should make Kali the star of a comic book.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

The thing is with Thor you have an easy transfer of powers without making up any other reason for the gender bend (curses, poison, retrovirus, nanomachines ...) - whoever is worthy of the powers can lift the hammer (e.g. Donald Blake found the hammer while on a walk in Norway and hiding from invading rock people from space).

So why not a female?
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on July 16, 2014, 09:46:46 AM
He's a girl, now!

Women who come to mind:

Freyja - Goddess of War

QuoteMarvel Comics has unveiled big changes for its hammer-wielding Norse superhero Thor - the character will become a woman.

The publisher said it hoped recasting Thor would attract more women and girls to superhero comic books.

New artwork reveals the once strapping and bearded Thunder God now as a buxom blonde, clad in a caped costume.

Thor first appeared in a Marvel adventure in 1962 and has been the star of two blockbuster movies.

New York-based Marvel described the move as "one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of the 'big three' of Captain America, Iron Man and Thor.

"No longer is the classic Thunder God able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjolnir, and a brand new female hero will emerge worthy of the name Thor," it said in a news article.

Jason Aaron, writer of the new Thor series, said in a statement: "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is Thor."

The female Thor is due to appear in her first adventure in October and be illustrated by Russell Dauterman.
this ain't April 1st... :confused:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 16, 2014, 10:33:06 AM
The thing is with Thor you have an easy transfer of powers without making up any other reason for the gender bend (curses, poison, retrovirus, nanomachines ...) - whoever is worthy of the powers can lift the hammer (e.g. Donald Blake found the hammer while on a walk in Norway and hiding from invading rock people from space).

So why not a female?
Thor could die an horrible death in battle and Lady Sif could pick it up to become the new Thor.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

In the movies it's supposed to be the real Thor, not some random schmuck who happened to find Mjollnir.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?