News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shootout at the Holocaust Museum in DC

Started by jimmy olsen, June 10, 2009, 02:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2009, 05:35:45 PM
Given Lovecraft's racism, they're two great tastes that go together!

Only a mongrel person would say that.

Probably one who worships unspeakable dieties in midnight orgies in a swamp.  :contract:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 11, 2009, 04:41:43 PM

Of course, I just used my God-given right to point out that Raz was an idiot for claiming von Brunn was "right-wing".

Oh yeah, I forgot that you still believe that Hitler was a leftist.  Well carry on with your stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Malthus on June 11, 2009, 05:38:12 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2009, 05:35:45 PM
Given Lovecraft's racism, they're two great tastes that go together!

Only a mongrel person would say that.

Probably one who worships unspeakable dieties in midnight orgies in a swamp.  :contract:

Tamas! :o
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2009, 05:35:45 PMGiven Lovecraft's racism, they're two great tastes that go together!
:huh: Dude, just because he named the cat in 'The Rats in the Walls' Nigger and referred to Asians as evil degenerates doesn't make him any more racist than basically everyone else when he was writing, given the fact that this was the 1920s and 1930s and Germany had, you know, the fucking Nazis at that time, not to mention the South was still segregated.  :rolleyes:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 11, 2009, 06:00:31 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2009, 05:35:45 PMGiven Lovecraft's racism, they're two great tastes that go together!
:huh: Dude, just because he named the cat in 'The Rats in the Walls' Nigger and referred to Asians as evil degenerates doesn't make him any more racist than basically everyone else when he was writing, given the fact that this was the 1920s and 1930s and Germany had, you know, the fucking Nazis at that time, not to mention the South was still segregated.  :rolleyes:

Well ...

"The mass of contemporary Jews are hopeless as far as America is concerned. They are the product of alien blood, & inherit alien ideals, impulses, & emotions which forever preclude the possibility of wholesale assimilation... On our side there is a shuddering physical repugnance to most Semitic types...so that wherever the Wandering Jew wanders, he will have to content himself with his own society till he disappears or is killed off in some sudden outburst of mad physical loathing on our part. I've easily felt able to slaughter a score or two when jammed in a N.Y. subway train. "

... a trifle extreme, even for the time.  :lol:

Mind you, that's his private correspondence, much like publishing stuff from Languish sans context in the future.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Interesting, I've never read that.... but wait, wasn't his wife a Jew?  :huh:

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on June 11, 2009, 06:07:51 PM
Interesting, I've never read that.... but wait, wasn't his wife a Jew?  :huh:

That would explain a lot, given that he was unhappily marooned in New York during their seperation.  :lol:

QuoteA few weeks after his mother's death, Lovecraft attended an amateur journalist convention in Boston, Massachusetts, where he met Sonia Greene. Born in 1883, she was of Ukrainian-Jewish ancestry and seven years older than Lovecraft. They married in 1924, and the couple moved to Brooklyn. Lovecraft's aunts may have been unhappy with this arrangement, as they were not fond of Lovecraft being married to a tradeswoman (Greene owned a hat shop). Initially, Lovecraft was enthralled by New York, but soon the couple was facing financial difficulties. Greene lost her hat shop and suffered poor health. Lovecraft could not find work to support them both, so his wife moved to Cleveland for employment. Lovecraft lived by himself in the Red Hook neighborhood of Brooklyn and came to intensely dislike New York life.[7] Indeed, this daunting reality of failure to secure any work in the midst of a large immigrant population—especially irreconcilable with his opinion of himself as a privileged Anglo-Saxon—has been theorized as galvanizing his racism to the point of fear, a sentiment he sublimated in the short story "The Horror at Red Hook."[8]

A few years later, Lovecraft and his wife, still living separately, agreed to an amicable divorce, which was never fully completed. He returned to Providence to live with his aunts during their remaining years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft#cite_note-15

Suddenly the "Jews are physically loathesome - I could kill scores of Jews on the New York subway" makes all kinds of sense.  :lmfao:

Caliga

I always imagined Lovecraft was creepy as fuck in person.  I mean, the guy chose to live with Aunts Patricia and Selma *shudder*.

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 11, 2009, 06:29:00 PM
I always imagined Lovecraft was creepy as fuck in person.  I mean, the guy chose to live with Aunts Patricia and Selma *shudder*.

He was probably like a 20th century Lettow.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Hansmeister

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2009, 05:57:35 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on June 11, 2009, 04:41:43 PM

Of course, I just used my God-given right to point out that Raz was an idiot for claiming von Brunn was "right-wing".

Oh yeah, I forgot that you still believe that Hitler was a leftist.  Well carry on with your stupid.

Because unlike you I actually know my history, retard-boy.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on June 11, 2009, 07:02:16 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 11, 2009, 06:29:00 PM

He was probably like a 20th century Lettow.
Lettow is weird, but he's not creepy.  I know a bit more about him than his Languish persona (i.e. Facebook details, etc.)

katmai

Good to see Hansie reads blogs, even if he has no time for his own.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son