[PBEM BOARD] La Grande Guerre - gloriously great WW1 game

Started by Tamas, July 07, 2014, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Ok, one more try: looking for opponents!!!

This is THE boardgame to play WW1, with a lot of very plausible alt-history options. Putting it simply, I haven't felt like re-living the probable problems and dilemmas of period leaders in any other board game as much as this one.
The military level is very high operational/strategic, with units being around corps level. But you have economics, politics, diplomacy, technology. Just awesome stuff.

It does take some effort to learn but compared to the level of simulation and fun gameplay achieved, not much at all.
Consimworld topic with all possible documentation:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6d67e

VASSAL module:
https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B8DUPGYJjUlLcEpNTF9yaElqY2s&export=download

It works with anything from 2 to 4. Two is more work for a single player but with 4 there is noticeable downtime in PBEM.

crazy canuck

Tamas, are there any WW1 games that dont turning turn West to North?

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 07, 2014, 09:29:06 AM
Tamas, are there any WW1 games that dont turning turn West to North?

:rolleyes: it makes sense with the board game, and FYI in the Vassal module it is normally orientated IIRC.

Ancient Demon

Isn't this the board game AGEOD's World War One was based on? Why not just play that?
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

CountDeMoney

Still haven't found a decent copy priced less than a BMW car payment.   :glare:

garbon

I'd love to Tamas but I can't handle that many hexes. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I bought this game in France way back in the day.  Unfortunately I do not have the time to play it  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Yeah, T...what with Vassal and docs online, you no longer need a hard copy.  Let us relieve you of that burden.

Syt

Quote from: Ancient Demon on July 07, 2014, 06:34:32 PM
Isn't this the board game AGEOD's World War One was based on? Why not just play that?

It seems it's no longer AGEOD's title. I've seen it pop up as "improved" "Centennial Edition" on Steam, no mention of AGEOD.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2014, 11:15:50 PM

It seems it's no longer AGEOD's title. I've seen it pop up as "improved" "Centennial Edition" on Steam, no mention of AGEOD.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?36020-What-is-World-War-One-Centennial-Edition

Quote from: calvinusHi all, WW1 Centennial Edition is a new and separate game. I ceded all rights to another company, nothing related to AgeOD, and with no commitment for me (being out of business from PC games already for some years), except for the required knowledge transfer, of course.

This company worked out a brand new graphic engine supported game, much faster and more stable than WW1G, with new graphics, a much improved map, more animated sprites, etc. etc.

I have no idea if that company is going to deliver any "kit" to upgrade WW1G to WW1CE, and if this can be done...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2014, 11:15:50 PM

It's.... complicated.

As for why not WW1 Gold instead of the boardgame: I played WW1G to death in SP, but the MP portion of it needs a very quick and stable connection to work without issues. So, eg. LAN is very fine, cross-continent MP, not so much. :(

Plus, I miss the original counters and such.

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2014, 09:25:27 PM
Yeah, T...what with Vassal and docs online, you no longer need a hard copy.  Let us relieve you of that burden.

I think he meant Valmy :P I am never departing with my copy.

Solmyr

If you accept a complete noob, I'd be interested in a WW1 game. Should be able to learn the rules fast enough.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on July 08, 2014, 04:28:33 AM
If you accept a complete noob, I'd be interested in a WW1 game. Should be able to learn the rules fast enough.

Of course, you have been one of the most reliable pbem opponents around here. :)